Lola - Fever Unknown Origin - Dachshund

Lola is a 2 year old Mini-Dachshund that we adopted from rescue 3 months ago. She is part of our family, and as such, we are trying to do everything we can to help get her well.

We brought Lola into the vet (Belton Small Animal Clinic) on 3/29/2014 because she was limping on her back leg. She was also shaking and running a temperature of 102.5. The vets sent her home with Tremedol and strict rest for 2 weeks. We brought Lola home for the weekend and she continued to get worse. By Monday, we brought her back into the clinic. She was struggling with eating and drinking and her temperature climbed to 103.3. We had the vets perform an XRAY to look for deeper problems with her leg. It was revealed that she had a swolen tendon on her back leg, but that it wasn't severe enough, nor could it explain the fever and inability to eat or drink.

On 4/1/2014, we decided to keep Lola at the vet until there were signs of improvement.

Over the next week, we performed several tests - Another x-ray and blood culture, which revealed a spike in white blood cell count, suggesting an infection. We performed more tests to try to isolate where the infection was originating from, but no luck.

Lola has had a constant fever ranging from 102 - 105 since 4/1. We have tried several different anti-biotics, both broad spectrum and those targeted towards a UTI (they found white blood cells in her Urine). So far, anti-biotics have not been successful and our vet is at a total loss.

They referred us to Dr. Vasanjee:

Whom happened to be the surgeon that performed a surgery on Lola 6 months ago.

He has suggested more tests, including fungal and joint tests.

She is classified as having a FUO (Fever of Unknown Origin) and it generally requires a lot of trial and error to pinpoint:

We will do anything for our pets, they are our family, and as such, we have cleaned out our savings account and have sold what we could to gather enough to cover the tests and treatment for our sweet girl.

To date, we have paid $806.00 to our local vet, have an outstanding invoice of $825.00 and an estimate from the specialist of $1,400 for the tests. Care after the tests get back is a mystery (if they even find anything with the tests).

Our local vet did what they could to discount her tests ($430 worth).

We have established credit with CareCredit in the amount of $1,000 and we have been able to put up $1,400 of our own money so far.

Here is a link to her history over the past 2 weeks:


  • Tom Stenson 
    • $75 
    • 87 mos
  • Zak Boca 
    • $500 
    • 87 mos
  • Dan Ostler 
    • $50 
    • 87 mos
  • Noah Halter 
    • $100 
    • 87 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $250 
    • 87 mos
See all


Marc Bollinger 
Temple, TX
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more