Training for the Paralympics costs money. Every athlete knows this and every athlete needs support. In my sport, para-cycling, there is not only the training and qualifying competitions that I have to fund, but I need modified equipment in order to participate. With your support, in 2014, I was able to get an approved trike for competition and compete in my first race – the USA Para-Cycling Road National Championships in Madison, Wisconsin – where I placed 5th. Thank you for making that happen.
In 2015, the funds you contribute will support participation in national and international qualifying events, training, and equipment maintenance.
Now, let me tell you about myself, why I believe I have a chance, and why, with your support, I can make a podium finish a reality. I ride over 6,000 miles each year and with proper training, I have made huge progress. Cycling has been a form of rehabilitation for me physically from chronic issues resulting from living with Cerebral Palsy as well as mentally teaching me confidence in my strength. It is now my personal mission to raise awareness that people with physical limitations can lead an active life through sports. And while I've had many challenges in life, simply put, I never give up until I achieve what I set out to do.
Some highlights of my cycling career thus far:
- May 2015 – 5th place – 2015 USA Cycling Para-cycling Road Nationals, MT2 Division Time Trial – Chattanooga, Tennessee
- May 2015 – 4th place – 2015 USA Cycling Para-cycling Road Nationals, MT2 Division Time Trial – Chattanooga, Tennessee
- May 2015 – 1st place – Tennessee Para-cycling Open, MT2 Division Road Race – Oak Ridge, Tennessee
- May 2015 – 1st place – Tennessee Para-cycling Open, MT2 Division Time Trial – Oak Ridge, Tennessee
- May 2015 – 5th place – U.S. Para-cycling Time Trial at the USA Cycling Collegiate Championships, MT2 Division – Asheville, NC
- May 2015 – 4th place Défi Sportif Altergo / Challenge Longhi, MT2 Division Road Race – Montreal, Canada
- May 2015 – 5th place Défi Sportif Altergo, MT2 Division Time Trial – Montreal, Canada
- May 2015 – 4th place Défi Sportif Altergo, MT2 Division Road Race – Montreal, Canada
- April 2015 – Attended the US Paralympics Cycling Talent Development Camp at the Olympic Training Center – Chula Vista, CA
- April 2015 – 2nd place – Redlands Bicycle Classic, MT2 Road Race – Redlands, CA
- April 2015 – 2nd place – Redlands Bicycle Classic, MT2 Time Trial – Redlands, CA
- February 2015 – Attended the US Paralympics Cycling Talent Development Camp – Clermont, FL
- July 2014 – 5th place – USA Para-Cycling Road National Championships, MT2 Road Race – Madison, Wisconsin
- July 2014 – 5th place – USA Para-Cycling Road National Championships, MT2 Time Trial – Madison, Wisconsin
My goal, with your help, is a podium finish in Rio. It will be a lot of work, but it is possible. I look forward to regularly updating you on the incredible, yet slightly daunting, journey ahead. Please check out my website (www.behindtheride.com) and like my Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/davidparalympics2016).
Thank you for your continued support,
DonationsSee top donations
- stan goldberg
- John Hills
- Amber Figueroa
- Shawn Burke
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more