All that aside, thank you for even reading.
(Also, look at my babies in that picture up there with me - AREN'T THEY THE CUTEST THINGS IN THE WORLD AND ALL GROWED UP).
Ahem. Onto the true topic of this page. As an English Literature major, I've taken multiple classes in many different strains of literature, from classic American authors to ancient Indian myths. Hours have been spent with my nose stuck in books, looking for the next thing to learn, a new way of thinking or seeing the world, some piece of wisdom left behind by the greats just for me in those thin pieces of paper. And while those tidbits of wisdom are still many to find, I believe that I've discovered the proper niche for myself in British Literature. Not only is this concentration vast and neverending, but it also allows me to make great leaps when it comes to my second major, that of Education.
I've signed up for a course my college offers that gives students the opportunity to travel abroad over spring break. This course, Arts of Medieval & Renaissance Britain, is directed by one of the professors with whom I've worked closely through my few years at MCLA. That being said, the course requires an additional fee, and I'm looking for some sort of financial support [and if you know of another way to help, let me know!].
Here's the Top Ten Reasons You Should Invest in this Trip:
1. Check out the course description here . The trip will happen midway through March 2014, over spring break.
2. This trip will be the culmination of all the work I've done at MCLA. From small scale analyses to large scale research projects [that turned into far bigger monsters than expected], I've been working closely with British authors almost around the clock. This experience and project would bring them all together nicely.
3. I will personally make sure to upload pictures, videos, and send back postcards or tiny presents for anyone who requests/makes a donation.
4. Our coordinator, Rosanne Denhard, has arranged the whole trip herself. She's been there and back again multiple times and knows her way around the places, where to stay, what to eat and drink, and what to see. She's arranged many opportunities for the group that, as a normal tourist, I would not be able to experience otherwise.
5. If you're looking ahead [and were thinking of it], I would gladly take future Christmas/Graduation presents in the form of donations.
6. The Globe Theater. I mean, duh [*shakes you by the lapels and screams SHAKESPEARE*].
7. I'm in the process of applying for scholarships, research grants, and saving up my own money to pay for the course. It's still expensive, and anything helps!
8. My project, as is required with this course, will combine my two majors of English and Education into one track. The goal is to walk away from this experience [though probably more of a dragging "YOU CAN'T MAKE ME STOP LEARNING" kind of deal] with a complete something yet-to-be-determined that I can use in my own classroom.
9. My past projects have included looking into the development of Education as a right for all people, especially as it has changed and affected the way people think, speak, and write. While this is all well and good, there's nothing quite like going to the place where English, as both a language and an academic field, moved through its formative years [Chaucer's English is pretty formative and informal, am I right or am I right?] and into the language, literature, and field that we all know and love to hate today.
10. This experience will not just be going to Britain with a group of friends for a week. This will be an experience with a group of peers who all are searching for that deeper level of meaning I've been chasing, and probably will spend my whole life looking for.
11. BONUS: I will probably follow you around like those little green aliens in Toy Story who say "You have saved our lives. We are eternally grateful."
DonationsSee top donations
- Walter Collins
- Shrewsbury smiths
- Lanna Maheux
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more