Dental work for Mike Doyle
On January 16, 2018 Mike suffered a workplace accident that left him with a Traumatic Brain injury along with many other injuries. While his medical bills have been, for the most part, taken care of through WSIB and crowd sourcing, we have now learned that Mike has a major dental problem. During his accident he knocked out 4 upper front teeth. We have consulted with a dentist who has informed us that Mike will have to have all of his teeth (both upper and lower) extracted and after 2 months will need to be fitted for a full set of dentures. This is due to the poor condition of Mike's teeth prior to his accident. He has 3 impacted wisdom teeth, an abscess and multiple infections. The dentures and the costs of the extractions are not covered through workman's compensation, and we do not have insurance that will cover most of the cost. Mike has had a rough time of it for the past 5 months and he is nervous about the upcoming surgery to extract his teeth. This also causes a major financial problem for us as the extractions will have to be done in the next few weeks. This coming so soon after losing Mike's income will be difficult. We are very grateful for the help and assistance we have received from everyone following Mike's accident. Hopefully this is the last medical hurdle we will have to jump regarding financial help. Thank you for reading Mike's story.+ Read More
The latest news on Mike's dental surgery is we finally have a new date in place. As of today he is scheduled for October 25 after which he will have 2 months recovery at the least before being fitted for full dentures. Thank you to all who have been helping us be able to pay for the rather large dental bill which has to be paid in full in advance. Mike and I appreciate your support very much!
While we have gotten nearer to the goal set for the cost of Mike's dental surgery and dentures, we are still not quite there. I have called the oral surgeon to have the date of the surgery pushed back, it looks like it will be sometime in October now. They will be calling me back with an exact date once they contact the hospital. This was not a decision I came to easily, Mike needs the surgery badly and needs to have new teeth to be able to eat with ease. But due to the fact the surgery had to be paid by August 23 and if we were to change or cancel we had to give a 30 day notice to avoid being charged a large penalty, I felt we had no choice but to push the date back rather than gamble that the money needed will be available. The surgeons office is now booking into October for the hospital so that is what we are aiming for now. We want to thank everyone who has helped us, both here and in offline donations (all money raised is reflected in the Go Fund Me total). Also thanks to everyone who has shared, prayed and gave good thoughts to Mike, we appreciate you all!
Consult done with the Oral Surgeon today. Due to the extensive work that needs to be done on Mike's teeth, the procedure has to be done in a hospital with an anesthesiologist. Mike will be in significant pain for at least a month, due to his drug allergies there are many painkillers he cannot take. The cost for the surgery will be $4100 payable in full the week before the surgery which is scheduled for August 30. That coupled with the cost of the dentures brings the total to $7700 out of pocket for us. We want to thank everyone who has helped us so far and for everyone who has read Mike's story. We appreciate all the help we get!
We now have a cost for the dentures that Mike will need. Our cost will be $3600 which includes all visits, measurements, adjustments. We do not have a cost yet for the oral surgeon or the extractions. Unfortunately none of this can be paid by installments. Thank you to everyone who is trying to help Mike.