Trooper the Handicapped Kitten
Trooper was born without hips and fused elbows which prevent him from mobilizing normally. He requires regular care and treatment as he continues to deteriorate. As he ages, his defects are becoming more pronounced. As of 8/8/17 due to a self inflicted injury, Troop was examined by his veterinary chiropractor and she has set up a series of therapy sessions to help with his joints and spine. It has been determined that Trooper is in a constant state of pain from misalignment and these sessions will help alleviate chronic symptoms. Due to a compromised immune system he also suffers from terrible year-round allergies and must see a veterinary dermatologist and receive a daily allergy serum to combat this problem and to help with his skin condition because regular antibiotic treatments are ineffective.
100% OF YOUR DONATIONS WILL GO DIRECTLY TOWARDS SPECIALIST & VET VISITS TO HELP TROOPER & BANDIT AS WELL AS THEIR ALLERGY REGIMENS. Allergy serums run $275 a course ea and they will be taking these for appx 18-24 months.
Trooper's twin sister Bandit is also suffering terribly from allergies and has also ripped her pretty face open from incessant scratching. She was recently diagnosed with Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex 2/2017 as well as a persistent staphylococcus aureus (staph) infection which has been ongoing since February & as of 6/16/17 she is back on 8 weeks of Cefpodoxime antibiotic to combat this. She has been in a cone since February. As of 8/8/17 Bandit is still on a slow heal and will continue to be coned until probably at least the end of September (8 months). She has a follow up appt for October.
I am working on getting Bandit the same help & treatment that her brother Trooper is receiving. Veterinary Dermatology costs $200-400 per visit on average.
6/16/17 BANDIT went for HESKA allergy testing and is under maintenance for her staph infection. We are trying to determine if she has a food allergy to poultry (her favorite) and any other environmental allergies that are constantly aggravating her skin. She tested positive for many many allergens, dust mites being far the worst. Bandit has now started a customized allergy serum program, same as her brother, that is administered daily. Again, allergy serums run $275 a course ea and they will be taking these for appx 18-24 months.
Bandit is currently battling the effects of stomatitis and had FME 8/2014. The surgery was a partial success, but Bandit still suffers occasional bouts of mouth lesions and requires treatment to combat her painful condition.
I am happy to elaborate on their situations, present medical bills, and am open to any of your questions. Please visit their FaceBook page @ https://www.facebook.com/TrooperTheKitten for regular updates and to meet their extended family of 9 rescues/ferals.
SHORT VERSION: Trooper has a broken leg & possible neuro damage.
I told dadcat to take the cover off the air conditioner outside because we're due for a heat wave this week. The AC is next to Trooper's cat tree where he looks out the open screened window. The noisy blue tarp must have startled Troop because when dadcat started taking it off Trooper spazzed and leaped off his 4 ft perch and did a flying leap onto the middle of the living room floor, about 4-5 ft outward. For a normal cat this is nothing. However, Trooper is disabled. His front elbow joints are fused together and do not bend. He was born without hips and can neither walk correctly or sit like a normal cat. He definitely can't jump. When he flew through the air he landed on his left side, his "good" side dammit, and broke his only stable support leg; his load bearing leg that he depends on to walk at all. The vet is trying to figure out if this can even be stabilized or supported or casted because of the difficult area and the fused bone situation without causing further permanent damage. Additional xrays were taken of the pelvis for fear of possible fractures there. His pelvis is such a train wreck of misshapen bones and things not being where they're supposed to be it is very difficult to tell if anything is off because everything is already really off to begin with.
However this is all minor compared to the news the doc hit me with next. She is worried about Troop maybe having had a stroke. He is acting neurologically incorrect. Not the normal actions of a cat with broken appendages. Troop is normally Mr. Feisty when it comes to entering the doorway of the vet clinic and right now he is subdued and very non moving. I'm praying it is all due to 1) Shock, 2) pain from broken bone(s), 3) 4 hrs later and he's calmed down. When this first happened he fell and I ran to grab him as he was stumbling and flopping around like a rag doll unable to stand or move. Dadcat was unaware of what was transpiring and still working the #$^&! noisy blue plastic tarp off the AC. The noise was freaking Trooper out who was now in pain and panic and not understanding what had happened to him. Trooper was spazzing out, a mess of claws and strength that left me full of holes and bleeding all over the place trying to subdue him. I finally wrestled him to the bedroom on the other end of the house to calm him which took several minutes. We managed to get him gently into his carrier and I broke the sound barrier rushing him to the ER. 2 hrs later he was finally seen and much more calmed down. I'm hoping the quiet stable small environment he was encased in helped to relax him and hence his subdued behavior.
The vet has admitted Troop to the ICU for overnight observation and concern for any head injury. (Possible concussion?) They will not give him any sedative because of the possible neuro conditions but will have him on a strong pain med.
I probably won't hear from them until after lunchtime when rounds are made and they update his condition. They are under instruction to call me immediately at any hour should his condition worsen. I will update when I have anything further.
I want to point out to the nay-sayeers that Trooper's cat tree is surrounded by pillows on the off chance he would fall out of his top perch, but his flying leap was unaccounted for and nothing could have prepared us for this unfortunate "Flying Lorenzo" incident.
Thanks to everyone who gave emergency donations to the clinic or Trooper's Paypal. His overnight stay with ICU, meds, xrays & visit are already estimated at $350-$525 depending on how the night goes.
Just this morning I had made appts this Thursday for the new cast-off cat Greybie for a wellness check (malnourished & respiratory infection) and Squishy to be screened for possible cancer. It's going to be a long week. Love to you all and thanks for standing by Trooper & readily helping him with your donations and prayers in his hour of need. It is breaking my heart walking by his empty cat tree right now.
What originally was thought to be a floating cyst turns out to be a cancerous tumor grade II (2-4"). Fortunately it is operable. Unfortunately it costs more than I have at the moment, in my accounts and Trooper's Med Fund combined. Thankfully, with all my frequent flyer miles and regular, almost weekly visits here, the clinic let me go with a partial deposit of everything I had on me at that moment.
Stumpers is having emergency surgery tomorrow AM and possibly tonight once the doc examines it further. Didn't get the chance to discuss it at length with the doc but I'm guessing this tumor either popped thru the skin which I doubt because when I was fiddling with it a week ago it was just rolling around inside the skin & not protruding. I'm thinking Stumpy started gnawing at it for whatever reason and chewed a literal hole in her armpit which in turn got infected from her repeated licking at it. All this over a matter of less than a week since I last examined her. The lg gumball size mass turned into a giant gaping mound of infected flesh about 3.5" in diameter. The infection ran out all over the place and compounded the problem creating an incredibly rancid mess that spread all over Stumpy's chest and abdomen. I could kick myself for not making an appt to have this damn thing removed a month ago because Stumpy has had it for months, but it seemed unobtrusive and under control at the time. My how things escalate. With all the Trooper and Bandit emergencies then the disaster with Big Tux, I had to keep pushing Stumpy back until tonight. I make no apologies except to poor Stumpy. Shit happens. Unfortunately it always seems to happen to me lately.
Don't know when Stumper Bumpers will be home. Will update tomorrow afternoon when I hear about the surgery.
Thanks to everyone who contributed to Bandit's Blanket raffle. That helps. Trooper's Medical Fund will cover about half of the $1300 estimated bill. With Tux's sudden Rainbow Trip last week and now this emergency surgery I'm still in the hole by around $600. I may petition for help with another auction by selling off my craft inventory and taking what I can get. I'll repost the Trooper Funders if anyone wants to help down below in the comments. Thanks as always for standing by us as we plow our way through another mess.
As an aside, when I asked the doc about Stumpy's age and if the impending surgery was worth it, she say absolutely. Stumpy would otherwise be in good health, and once the tumor is removed Stump should bounce back to her old nutty self. For being a geriatric 14-18 yr old, she loves to play and run outside and is incredibly fast. She still is faster than any of our other cats and very playful & a joy to have in our happy kitty family. <3
Miss Flowerhead is NOT cooperating in her usual fashion and is still managing to get at her leg even with the giant stupid flower cone on. So now I'm looking for a cat cone of a similar size but in a less forgiving plastic-- something that will NOT bend so easily and give her access to the damn leg. Was hoping by now that the leg would be showing significant signs of healing. I should have known better. I had made a tentative appt for next Fri 6/29 in case something like this would happen. Guess I'll be keeping it. The wound site has been left unbandaged per doc's orders to "air dry." However it's still wet and soft with no healing hardness to the tissue. I'm guessing that Bandit is licking at it even though I have yet to see her do so. She's sneaky like that.
Thanks to everyone who has donated & contributed to Trooper's Medical Fund. Your help has ensured that Bandit will get the care she needs as we continue the summer-long battle to once again get Bandit on the mend.
As many of you already heard, Bandit has once again landed herself in the hospital for a grievous leg wound. It started with a punctured paw which swelled up. That has since healed, but the damage done from improper bandaging resulted in this ugly, messy leg wound that has become infected and raw. It has been a battle trying to keep Bandit in check and not licking and aggravating the wound site, but multiple cones are proving problematic. We did a week's worth of honey bandaging per the vet and now are attempting to air dry it.
Bandit's multi day ICU stay for infection depleted Trooper's Medical Fund and now we are trying to recoup our losses. Bandit will need repeated visits to the vet for follow up and Trooper needs to continue his chiropractic pain management.
Bills and statements can be viewed on Trooper's FB page in the Medical Photo Album.
Thank mew for your consideration.
Thank mew for taking a moment to read our story.
Oh dear, if full teeth extraction is called for, there are certainly worse things in life. I transitioned my Calico sweetie from dry to wet food (www.lifesabundance.com) recently and do not regret the decision. Her food is more expensive, but is really healthier and natural. I can tell she is more hydrated, healthier, and happier today than she was before the transition. Good luck and God bless!
Sarah, I am sorry, I am just seeing this section below now with your question. Yes the ONLY cure for stomatitis and calici is for full teeth extraction. The cat will then be pain free and will adapt quickly. The disease will not return and over time they will be able to even eat crunchy food. Not removing the teeth could allow for the return of the disease. Not removing tooth & root could result in same problem. Refer to my support page if you have further questions on this debilitating disease. https://www.facebook.com/groups/856632484350109/