211
211
3

A Fighting Chance...

$21,976 of $50,000 goal

Raised by 210 people in 1 month
Created August 7, 2018
A fighting chance, that what Johannes has and he needs your help!

On August 2nd, my dear friend Amber's husband, Johannes was admitted to UMC hospital in Lubbock, TX in a great deal of pain. 

After a myriad of tests and scans, it was discovered that he was suffering from a life threatening intestinal blockage. Johannes was taken into surgery on August 3rd, where a large portion of his lower left intestinal tract was removed, along with a large mass and lymph nodes. The surgeon was fairly confident at that point that what they were dealing with was cancer.

Today, on their son Carson's 10th birthday, they found out that Johannes does indeed have Stage 3c Colon Cancer that has spread to his lymph nodes. 


There is a chance that Johannes may get to go home from the hospital today, but he has a long road ahead of him, as do Amber, Carson and Callie. 

The number one thing that needs to happen now is for Johannes to heal enough from his surgery that he can begin his Chemo treatment, which is currently expected to last 6 months (12 sessions). 

What can you do to help?

1. PRAY! Pray for complete and total healing for Johannes. 
2. Pray for Amber and Carson and Callie
3. DONATE - As many of you know, Johannes and Amber make a living as so many do, as artists. Unfortunately, this also means that they do not have health insurance. Johannes is going to be unable to play at the rate he and Amber were - it's just physically impossible. This means that their income is going to be very little. 
4. Meal Assistance! If you know Amber and Johannes, please offer to send meals to the family. That is one less thing for them to think about. I know gift cards to restaurants would also be appreciated. I will work with Amber's mom to set up a meal train and get that posted on here as well.

On behalf of Amber, Johannes and the kids, thank you! Every single cent adds up and will be so appreciated. 

Angela
+ Read More
Dear Friends —

After much thought, prayer and research regarding options, we have decided to seek treatment for Johannes in his home country of Denmark. Johannes will leave on September 24th and hopes to begin treatment there on October 1st. We have been communicating with his sister, Christine, and his parents, to coordinate everything and will be spending the next couple of weeks getting things in order so there won’t be any delays once he arrives in Denmark.

Though I won’t be able to be with him for the entire time, I am planning to go during the Christmas holidays. We will be eligible for insurance coverage beginning in January, so our hope is to get the first part of his treatment done overseas and then complete treatment here at home starting in January once we have insurance. This will all be contingent on how he is doing with treatment and his ability to travel in January.

Thank you all for your continued prayers for Johannes and for our family… we feel them and appreciate the love and support more than we can possibly express. Please continue to pray.

Love,
Johannes, Amber, Carson & Callie
+ Read More
We received word today that we did not qualify for the blue card as we had hoped. We have the option to appeal, and the letter we received says they will then have 14 days to respond to our appeal. I tried calling the UMC resource office to find out more information but they were already closed for the holiday, so we won’t know exactly why our application was denied until Tuesday at the earliest. Though we do plan to appeal, we had already privately discussed the possibility that Johannes might have to return to Denmark for treatment. As he is still a Danish citizen, he would be eligible for state-funded treatment there. We had hoped this wouldn’t be the course we would have to take… However, if this is what we have to do to get him the treatment he MUST have, then we will do whatever it takes.

If our appeal here is denied, Johannes will leave for Denmark as soon as possible to get started on treatment. We are already exploring those options and communicating with his family there to plan for whatever may come next. While the possibility of our family being separated, especially at a time like this, is incredibly hard to deal with, I know it is something we will get through! We are blessed in so many ways and have much to be thankful for. Things will move quickly if Johannes has to go back to Denmark. I don’t have a passport, so I would not be able to go with him right away, but I’m getting my paperwork together and hope to be able to be there as much as I can to be by his side.

The benefit concert for Johannes has been moved to October 14th at the Cactus Theater here in Lubbock, TX. More info will be sent out about that event as soon as I have more details. Many of our dear friends have donated their time and talents to putting it together and we are so grateful.

Thank you to all of you for your continued prayers, love and support. We love you all!
+ Read More
I tried posting an update a little while ago, then accidentally deleted it… trying again now.

Johannes just came in from a walk, he has been walking every morning! Although he does feel tired a lot, he is determined to do what is good for his body by exercising a little each day, eating healthy and resting. We applied last week for a blue card which will provide some emergency financial relief for his treatments. We were told that they can’t do the port placement or start treatments until we have that in place. We should know if we qualify in around 14 days. The surgery team would like to wait 8 weeks from surgery before starting chemo, so that would put it starting around the first of October.

Johannes told me this weekend that he feels strong enough to start playing a few gigs… so we are going ahead with dates we already had on the calendar for this week and into September. There is true healing power in music and we, Johannes & I, both draw great strength from making music, especially together. We don’t know what to expect once he begins chemo… we don’t know how his body will react or how it will impact his ability to perform. So for now, while he feels strong enough to do what he loves, he is going to.

Lots of unknowns right now… I would be lying if I said neither of us are scared, we are. Some days are really overwhelming, but we just keep going, keep holding onto one another and have faith. We look at each moment with more appreciation than ever before. Yesterday we got to celebrate Carson’s birthday (belated party) with his friends, Nana & PoPo, Aunt Crisy and cousins (Derek, Trevor and Preston) at Nana & PoPo’s house. We all had a great time together with lots of joy & laughter!

We found out this week that a tribute album is being done of Johannes’s C64 music! Thank you so much to everyone in the retro gaming/C64 community for reaching out, it has been so amazing to hear from you all! Thank you, Imre Olajos (“LaLa”) for putting the album project together!

There will also be a benefit concert in September at the Cactus Theater and we will post more information about that event as details come together.

There aren’t words enough to express our gratitude for the love and support showered upon us these past few weeks. We are so, so grateful. Please continue to keep Johannes and our family in prayer as we wait for treatments to begin. Specifically, we are hopeful and praying for strength for Johannes, for him to stay infection free and for the cancer not to spread further.

Thank you again for your love & support!

Love,
Amber, Johannes, Carson & Callie
+ Read More
From Amber’s Mom -

Just wanted to let people know how very much we appreciate the prayers and good thoughts coming our way for our children, Johannes, Amber, Carson & Callie. We truly are grateful for every single act of kindness that has been given to them.❤️
Here is the latest news...
Johannes got his staples out today. He is very tired but hanging in there. He has amazed us with his commitment to getting better. He is trying to walk every morning in his neighborhood and is eating as healthy a diet as possible. Of course his passion, music, is the best therapy besides the love of his family. The rest of the story is that today he was told that his port placement and chemotherapy is considered an “elective” procedure, and unless they have insurance or the cash, the doctors will not begin his treatments. Of course, Johannes and Amber are very upset. How can “advanced colon cancer” (their-the drs words!) treatment be considered an “elective treatment”? We are sure that there are so many folks in our country that do not have insurance. Until it touches your family in a more personal way tho you don’t really think about it. When any of them have been sick, they pay cash up front as needed. But when a catastrophic illness hits, that awful “C”, you never think will happen to you, you’re in trouble for sure! Johannes is definitely in trouble now! Our hearts are breaking and we know it is all in God’s hands, but we are human, we worry. We all know God is in control. There are so many of our friends that are fighting Cancer right this very minute! These are truly great and good people. It is so difficult to accept why the suffering is happening. So incredibly hard to accept!
We pray for continued good health and happiness for all of you. And once again, thank you for the outpouring of love and support for Johannes and his sweet family.
Lots of Love,
David & Donna Pennington
+ Read More
Read a Previous Update

$21,976 of $50,000 goal

Raised by 210 people in 1 month
Created August 7, 2018
Your share could be bringing in donations. Sign in to track your impact.
   Connect
We will never post without your permission.
In the future, we'll let you know if your sharing brings in any donations.
We weren't able to connect your Facebook account. Please try again later.
DK
$400
Daniel Krajzewicz
10 days ago
$50
Anonymous
10 days ago
RE
$200
Ralna English
12 days ago
KN
$100
Kathleen Nichols
12 days ago
SN
$20
Susan Noland
13 days ago
KG
$30
Kathy Grange
15 days ago
$20
Hallgeir Anker Hansen
15 days ago
CE
$100
Craig Elliott
15 days ago
$50
Anonymous
16 days ago
or
Use My Email Address
By continuing, you agree with the GoFundMe
terms and privacy policy
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account. Return to Campaign

Are you ready for the next step?
Even a $5 donation can help!
Donate Now Not now
Connect on Facebook to keep track of how many donations your share brings.
We will never post on Facebook without your permission.