Double Lung and Heart Transplant
Rock Hill man needs heart/double lung transplant
About 7 years ago, while working on his job as an exterminator, Richard Jenkins, 31 years old husband and father in Rock Hill SC, was bitten by a black widow spider. The poison from the bite went to his heart. As a result, Richard has had many serious health issues and has been close to death several times. He has been clinically dead at least twice. The damage from the poison as well as the repeated trauma from being on life support has severely damaged his heart and lungs. His doctors have informed him that his life-saving medication is no longer working. Although the dosages are being increased, his condition is worsening. He is currently taking twice the amount that patients with similar conditions are advised to take. Doctors feel his body is becoming immune to his medications. Specialists around Charlotte, NC are referring Richard to Duke Medical Center. He is in dire need of a heart and double lung transplant. His first appointment has been scheduled for February 21, 2014. This appointment will determine if his body can endure the major transplant surgery. Both the heart and both lungs have to be transplanted simultaneously. If only the lungs or the heart were done, then the remaining damaged organ would cause the transplanted organ to fail.
Richard has Medicare that will pay 80 percent of the cost. However, he is responsible for paying the remaining 20 percent. With a surgery estimated at around $2,000,000, 20 percent is about $400,000. After a successful transplant, the cost of the anti-rejection medications start at $20,000 monthly. Although he was initially turned down for Medicaid, Richard is reapplying in hopes of greater assistance. Even if he has both Medicare and Medicaid, there is the entire family's living expenses that must be provided for before, during, and after surgery. While Duke offers a scholarship to offset expenses, Richard is not sure he qualifies.
Richard and his wife Laura have two daughters, Chloe, 8, and Mckinley, 1. He is the son of Tiny Sauls. His prayer is to get the transplants so that he can be healthy again and see his beautiful daughters graduate and get married. He and his family appreciate all of your prayers. Thank you for taking your time to read this and keep him in your prayers. God bless you.
Posted by Robin Sauls
Thanks so much to our Aunt Robin and cousin Shawn for taking the time to make this page and for everything else. We love y'all! Also I want to say thank you to everyone else that has taken the time to read this and adding us in your prayers.