Our local area alpine race teams are in danger of not completing this year's season AGAIN due to the drought. 170 high school racers who all have been doing dryland training since November, and paid for their initial dues and passes (which varies from $600-$900 per racer), have not been able to race because their home mountain Sierra-At-Tahoe has not had enough snow to host a race. Normally our division of eight local high schools conducts a total of 6 races, three in slalom and three in giant slalom, and we have now missed two scheduled races AND many on-hill practices due to the lack of snow. In fact, there's been very little necessary on-hill training because the mountain has not been able to hold race gates. What's worse is that there's no snow in sight. Other divisions who use mountains in Tahoe such as Squaw Valley/ Alpine Meadows, Northstar and Sugar Bowl, have been able to practice and race with the snow that we got back in late November. We are one of the few divisions that are behind.
The California Nevada Interscholastic Ski and Snowboard Foundation, CNISSF, has announced that despite the drought, Mammoth will be able to conduct State Championships in March. This means that our South 1 Division racers need to qualify in two slalom races and two giant slalom races. The division coaches have decided that we need to make this happen. We have collectively decided that we will attempt to conduct 2 double-header races at Alpine Meadows to at least get our racers qualified. Alpine Meadows so graciously hosted us for a race on for January 27th
where we had a GS and Slalom race. This race cost us about $7,000. This race ALONE used more than all of the funds that the teams have collected to fund their normal 6 races. We used the $2500 you all helped us raise last year to help cover this race.
We need your help again. We are going to hold out until the second week in February to hold the last double header that will fulfill the last two races needed to qualify racers for states. We are hoping that some heavy snow will fall between now and then, but it is unlikely that it will be enough to have our race at Sierra-At-Tahoe and unlikely that there will even be another storm according to the 10-day forecast. This means we need to come up with another $7,000 for the next race and money to practice at the other resorts. On-hill practices are about $1,000 per team. Please help these 170 racers finish their season. Every little bit helps and your donation to our South 1 Division may be tax deductible to the extent allowable by law.
We are working on putting together a community service event to thank the community if we are able to reach our goal. We have proposed doing a Folsom Lake clean-up or a forest re-plant. We are open to any suggestions from our supporters.
Thank you for helping these athletes make the most of this drought season. Your ideas and insights are greatly appreciated. SOUTH 1 HIGH SCHOOLS
Amador & Argonaut High Schools, Capital Christian High School, El Dorado High School, Golden Sierra High School, Oak Ridge High School, Ponderosa High School, Union Mine High School
Please Contact Jen for any questions, comments or concerns.