Tim's Medical & Travel Expenses
On Thursday, August 29, 2013, Tim was taken to the Emergency Room with complaints of severe abdominal pain. A CT scan of his abdomen showed there was an obstruction in his intestines. Tim was taken to surgery that day and it revealed that a cancerous mass was causing the obstruction. The surgeons removed the mass and resected part of his small intestines. Unfortunately they also found other cancerous masses "freckled" throughout his abdominal cavity.
At this point, the doctors do not know what type of cancer it is or where it is stemming from, there is only speculation. Tim is still in the hospital recovering from Thursdays surgery and waiting for his intestines to "wake up" and start functioning again so that he can be released to go home.
Tim and Lacey are waiting for the pathology to come back so that they can identify what type of cancer it is so that they know how to treat it and move forward. For right now, it is just a waiting game.
Because of the nature of the cancer that was discovered, Tim and Lacey will most likely be traveling to Texas for treatment. They will need our help for expenses such as medical bills, treatments, utilities, and travel costs.
For those of you that don't personally know Tim and Lacey, they are the parents of 3 young boys. Tim is a service member with the United States Air Force and a Firefighter. Lacey is a registered nurse. Tim and Lacey have dedicated their lives to helping others, let us show them our gratitude for the sacrifices they have made.
Thank you all very much for your help in this time of need.
Power port implanted yesterday through outpatient surgery. Tim handled it like a champ. The site is a little sore and Tim is taking it easy and not using his left arm much. The good news is the surgeon cleared him for chemo and he gets his first treatment tomorrow at 1030. Please keep Tim in your prayers that he tolerates the chemo well and that it works to get rid of the cancer. Those are our goals for right now. The doctors have been so impressed with how quickly he has healed from the surgery and we hope his progress continues to carry over. Will keep you updated on how chemo goes. Xoxo goodnight all
Update.... Tim saw the general surgeon today and his incision is healed and he's cleared to start chemo! We have outpatient surgery scheduled tomorrow morning to place his port-a-cath. The pet scan results didn't reveal any surprises which is a sliver of good news for once. The diagnosis is still the same and our oncologist will use this scan as the baseline. Hopefully chemo will be started by early next week. It's a scary step to begin but we are more then ready to get to work here and kick cancer out! Please continue to send us your prayers and positive thoughts. It lifts us and gives us strength to know you all have our backs. From here we just hope and pray that the chemo will work on the cancer Tim has. He will most likely have a repeat pet scan in 3 months to compare. More later!
Tim had his first pet scan today. We won't know what the results are until our next appointment with our oncologist towards the end of the month. The pet scan was done to give us a baseline of the cancer and we will do repeat scans throughout chemo to monitor how it's working. Today was a big day for Tim, he got his wound vac removed! He's still healing and getting daily dressing changes but can now shower and no longer has a vac pack to carry around. We have also been invited to the Firefighter Cancer Support Network's Annual Gala on Nov. 3 in Hollywood! It's a black tie affair and we are very excited! Sorry the updates have slowed down, nothing much has been happening until now. We do continue to feed off your unconditional love and support. Thank you all so much for keeping hope alive for us. XOXO
Update from appointment at UCSF: Met with two different doctors who concur with our current treatment plan, but seemed more aggressive in their plan. We are still step by step, but it was nice to hear for once that surgery should be next consideration after finishing chemo treatment. The two doctors both recommended the same surgical oncologist for us to look into meeting with several months down the road for more surgery, as well as continued lower doses of chemo. Also spoke about possible clinical trials available to add on or have as a plan B. Both doctors agreed Tim's age and overall great health are in his favor, and that he should do well with chemo. Thank you for continued prayers and support. There's no doubt the important role they play in this process.
Thank you so much to everyone for you support, be it spiritual, financial or just offering hope. I trust that our love, strength and the prayers and support of our friends and family will get us through this. It makes us so emotional seeing everyone come together and we can't begin to know how to thank everyone. For now were facing this and fighting day by day....