Help Baxter and Kyla

$1,125 of $2,500 goal

Raised by 37 people in 69 months
Lynne Schmidt  NORWAY, ME
Baxter and Kyla are best friends. In all the ways Baxy is awesome, Kyla is awful. In all the ways Kyla is amazing, Baxter is a butthead. They complete each other and have made my life amazing for the last 10 and 5 years (respectively).

However, less than 30 days ago, Kyla was diagnosed with a low grade sarcoma. While we'd hoped her surgery would eradicate the cancer, the margins were not clean. Mere hours before her oncology appointment, Baxter was acting strange. After rushing him to the emergency vets, he had to have an emergency surgery where they removed his spleen and two tumors that were attached to it. We are waiting on biopsy results to know what happens next. (Results should be in March 17, 2017).

Best case scenario: he lives until old age.
Worst case: he has 6-8 weeks left with me and his fur siblings.

Any donation would be greatly appreciated. Baxter and Kyla are my best friends.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Thank you more for your donation.

**If you're wondering why the link dates back over 40 months, it is because in 2013 he had other medical issues which was why this account was made. The total then came to $4,600 and I kept the link live. This has been updated as of 3/11/17.
+ Read More
Update 32
Posted by Lynne Schmidt
20 months ago
   Share
Baxter should be dead by now. It still feels surreal each day to know that something in his body is eating him from the inside, slowly turning off the light in his eyes. I'll never be ready.

His surgery was March 9-10th depending on how you manage time. The diganosis came a couple days later. They told me 6-8 weeks with him. They told me he was terminal. And he is. You can see it some days in the way his breathing has changed, or how his back legs falter for just a second going down the stairs. He sleeps more. Some days he doesn't want to go for a walk, while others he drags me behind him.

His medications cost about $300/month. Between his Chemo ($200), his mushroom capsules ($50), and something else I can't pronounce ($50). The vets continue to tell me I'm only buying time, but what other choice do I have?
+ Read More
Update 31
Posted by Lynne Schmidt
21 months ago
   Share
We are back from Michigan. In less than a week I've managed to refill Baxter's chemo ($200) and schedule Kyla's surgery. However, even my vet was overbooked and they had to push her out until May 4th.

I got the call this morning that another client cancelled their appointment and Kyla's is bumped to tomorrow. I am so very grateful and nervous. Please send many good and healing vibes our way as we continue this path.
Group walk in Michigan.
+ Read More
Update 30
Posted by Lynne Schmidt
22 months ago
   Share
Baxter seems to be doing well. We finally have all of his medications, but will need a refill in the next two weeks. We adventured to Sunday River yesterday and he loved just hanging out. He met a group of kids in daycare and loved every second.

On the other hand, Kyla's care is becoming a nightmare. A little over a week ago, I left a friend in charge of watching the dogs as Kyla was in heat and his dog is intact. My 'friend' "Looked away for a second, it was only a second, I swear!' and Kyla and the other dog linked. So on top of the cancer that requires another surgery she needs a spaying, now.

However the veterinarian's office called Thursday to tell me her estimate is around $1,500-$1,800. So I've started looking for grant funding of any sort as everything is maxed out right now. I spoke with the office again today who then informed me the surgeon is booking out five weeks in advance....which is no longer a possibility if Kyla is pregnant. We cannot wait that long.

So we're back at square one all over again.
All the pups
+ Read More
Update 29
Posted by Lynne Schmidt
22 months ago
   Share
It is like one hit after another.

As soon as I'm taking a second to breathe, to process, another wave comes and I'm capsizing again.

You have all helped raise $420 toward their medical bills and I cannot express my thanks. But we are far from out of the woods...

We met with the oncologist yesterday. They were wonderful, and even the vet noted how awful it is that one pet parent has two dogs that have cancer.

We finally got the official name of Baxter's diagnosis. It's Hemangiosarcoma. It is aggressive. With just the surgery and no further treatment, his life expectancy would be approximately 40 days, give or take. With treatment (a cocktail of supplements and chemo), it bumps to six to eight months.

Kyla's situation is different. She has been diagnosed with a low grade sarcoma and because the margins were not clean, she requires another surgery and spaying to prevent any future issues.

The oncology appointment alone was another $300. ($150 for each dog).

The vets were wonderful and managed to help curb some of the medication costs, but I still have to pay $50 for a medication, as well as a prescription I need to pick up.

I got the call today and the estimate for surgery is $1,500-$1,800. I don't have that kind of money laying around. I asked what the time line looks like for her, the urgency for the surgery and the specialist basically said "The sooner the better."

I am stuck.

I have filed my taxes for 2016 and am getting some money back, but it's not enough. It's never enough. My CareCredit is maxed out.

My dogs are sick, and I am overwhelmed.
+ Read More
Read a Previous Update
Be the first to leave a comment on this campaign.

$1,125 of $2,500 goal

Raised by 37 people in 69 months
Created May 1, 2013
Your share could be bringing in donations. Sign in to track your impact.
   Connect
We will never post without your permission.
In the future, we'll let you know if your sharing brings in any donations.
We weren't able to connect your Facebook account. Please try again later.
$20
Anonymous
20 months ago
LT
$20
Liz Taraldsen
21 months ago

<3

$10
Pamela Black
21 months ago

I'm sure that it will go well! Prayers!

$20
Samaa Abdurraqib
22 months ago
$100
Anonymous
22 months ago
PH
$10
Patrik Holubik
22 months ago
RM
$20
Rachel Morr
22 months ago

Hoping that you raise the funds needed. I know what it's like to have unexpected fur baby expenses. Hope he feels better soon!

$20
Jody Dunn
22 months ago

<3 you

JV
$50
Jess V
22 months ago
JM
$100
Jackie Miller
22 months ago
Be the first to leave a comment on this campaign.
or
Use My Email Address
By continuing, you agree with the GoFundMe
terms and privacy policy
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account. Return to Campaign

Are you ready for the next step?
Even a $5 donation can help!
Donate Now Not now
Connect on Facebook to keep track of how many donations your share brings.
We will never post on Facebook without your permission.