Kaylyn's Medical Fund
I apologize in advance if anything is confusing, it's still sinking in for me. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I will answer.
My name is Kaylyn Baker, 20, from Texas. I was diagnosed with allergic fungal pansinusitis about a month ago. From what was told to me by doctors, it's a relatively severe allergic reaction to things like mold, that causes a fungal infection in the sinuses, making it only able to be removed through surgery I believe. Antibiotics will not work to clean it out. In my case, it went relatively unnoticed since I have seasonal allergies, so when they got a bit worse during summer, it was dismissed as regular allergies. Then I started getting headaches every day. I don't normally get headaches, so after about a full week of constant headaches, I went to the doctor and we decided to get a CT to see what is going on. I was called the next day and the doctor sounded fairly urgent. What the PA told me was that it was a fungal infection, eroding my skull and making it's way to my brain. I know, that sounds unreal, especially when you didn't feel any different until a week ago. I was referred to an ENT, an ear nose and throat specialist, and he requested another CT and an MRI so we can see just how much damage has been done so far. It was determined that part of my eye socket was eroded and is reforming itself, pushing against my optic nerve, causing eye pain. He felt that it was such a severe case, he wanted to do surgery 2 days later. After the initial visit with the ENT, that night I had a massive sinus headache/migraine which was so painful I had to go to the ER. In the ER, they also wanted an MRI, so I got one there, and the next day after being released from the ER got the second CT. After reviewing the second CT and the MRI, the first ENT said there might be too many risks involved with doing the surgery in his OR, and referred me to another ENT, where I would be in better care in case something were to go wrong. From what I could understand, there is too much near my sinuses that is exposed, posing some risks during surgery, and they want to make sure that if anything were to happen, it could be handled. With this new ENT, he looked at everything and now we are set for surgery.
My surgery is set for September 22, and only set so far out due to me needing to be on steroids to reduce inflammation. There would be more risks with doing the surgery immediately, than there would be waiting a couple of weeks to reduce the inflammation. After the surgery, I will need to get allergy testing and then allergy shots for it so it doesn't get this bad again.
What we'd be putting the money towards would be to help pay the bills of the 2 CTs, 1 MRI, ER visit, doctor visits related to this condition, and the surgery.
Anything is appreciated; donations of any amount, spreading the word of this gofundme page, and well wishes. Thank you for reading this and doing whatever you can.
I do have the CTs and MRI screening, and can see where the eye socket bone is changed, but can't see the rest of the stuff mentioned because I'm not trained in reading those. I can try to upload photos if needed.