Ethiopia Aug 2016 working with Deaf
I will work with the Deaf communities in Ambo & Bahir Dar.
All workshops will be open to Deaf adults and children & their hearing relatives, friends & supporters.
The overall cost for the trip including flights, accommodation, food, workshop materials & other costs will be approx €3,000 euro.
I have paid for my flights from Ireland to Ethiopia & all accommodation out of my own personal savings.
Any donations from GoFundMe will go towards the costs of workshops, activities & materials in Ambo & Bahir Dar. It will also go towards minor renovations & painting at the Ambo Deaf Association building.
A Deaf teacher from Addis Ababa will also work with me in Ambo for approx 4 days & she will tutor the workshops & activities with me. Donations will enable me to pay for her travel, accommodation, food & workshop materials costs.
In addition, it will enable me to pay a daily allowance to Deaf people in Ambo who attend full day workshops to help with their travel & food costs.
In Ambo, we will:
* Work with Deaf teachers in the Ambo Lazarist Deaf School.
* Provide workshop activities to Deaf students in Grades 1-4 & Grades 5-8
* Workshops will include Deaf empowerment, Ethiopian Sign Language, computer tuition, arts & crafts and & sporting activities.
* We will also work with the Board & members of the Ambo Deaf Association
* We will carry out an assessment of their current needs & future hopes/aspirations
The 2nd part of my trip, I will work for my 1st time with Visions Global Empowerment & the Deaf community in Bahir Dar.
As part of our work in Bahir Dar, all volunteers including myself have contributed 1,000 US dollars towards our work there.
In Bahir Dar:
* We will work with local partners and teachers in a number of schools with deaf students;
* We will visit a Deaf Resource Room and new classroom at Yekatit 23 School;
* Work alongside local teachers with classroom activities for Deaf children (Grades 1 – 4);
* Provide activities for Deaf children in hearing integrated classrooms at the school (Grades 5–8);
* Visit a new Visions Model Regional Deafness Center:
* Provide 1-day training workshops at the Centre for deaf preschool children (ages 3–6) and Deaf students (ages 6–17)
* In addition, provide a 1-day leadership training workshop for approx. 35 Deaf young adults (ages 15–30);
* Site visits and workshops for students at 2 other Bahir Dar schools with classes for Deaf students (Tsehay Gibot & Donna Berber Schools);
* Site visit to Visions’ sponsored livelihood projects benefitting Deaf young adults;
* Participate in an Exchange program with Bahir Dar University and/or Felege Hiwot Hospital;
On completion of our work in Bahir Dar, I hope to return to Ambo and renovate & repaint a building used by the Ambo Deaf Association. Donations will pay for all the painting supplies and any minor renovation costs. In addition it will enable me to pay for food & travel costs for those who volunteer from Ambo with me.
If you could make a donation to this trip, it would be greatly appreciated.
If you can't make a donation via GoFundMe, I also have a PayPal account- please contact me for those details if you prefer this option.
My sincere thanks to everyone for their support to date. Look forward to volunteering in Africa for the 4th time, with this trip being my 3rd volunteer trip to Ethiopia. Look forward to reconnecting with our Deaf friends, their families and supporters again too
Many thanks, Willie x
I am on the train to Dublin and fly out to Ethiopia early tomorrow (Monday) for 3 weeks. The trip will be a mixture of hard work & alot of fun too :-)
Thank you for all your support, it is greatly appreciated. I promise it will benefit all those I have the honour & privilege of working with in the coming 3 weeks.
I will post updates on my Facebook page. If you do not have Facebook, let me know and I can email you some photos too.
Thanks again everyone xxx
Really appreciate everyone's generosity & promise the money will be well spent.
I updated my sponsor page last week & hopefully that will give you a clearer picture of my trip.
Thanks again for the support.
For anyone who can't donate via the page or because the currency is in Euro, I am happy to accept donations via my PayPal account or by cheque, postal order or in person too....thanks :-)