Learn How You Can Support Healthcare Workers and Make a Difference
In the wake of the coronavirus pandemic, healthcare providers are working around the clock to save lives and protect communities across Canada. Now more than ever, they need your support. In this article, we’ll discuss some of the many ways that you can support the frontline responders of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Four ways to help healthcare workers
From providing them with personal protective equipment (PPE) to buying them a meal, there are countless ways to support healthcare workers during this time of crisis. Check out some of the most impactful ways you can help healthcare workers below.
1. Follow expert advice
The best way to support healthcare workers through the pandemic is to heed their expert advice. It’s up to everyone to help flatten the curve and slow the spread of the coronavirus, and you can do your part by following the Public Health Agency of Canada:
Practice good hygiene
- Wash your hands with soap and hot water, especially before and after touching frequently used items or surfaces
- Refrain from touching your face
- Sneeze or cough into a tissue or your elbow
- Sanitize frequently used items and surfaces
Wear a cloth mask or face covering
- Wear a cloth mask or face covering in public places where social distancing protocols are difficult to uphold
- Ensure that the mask or face covering includes multiple layers of fabric and fits snugly but comfortably against your face
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth when wearing or removing your mask or face covering. Wash your hands immediately after removing it.
- Frequently launder your mask or face covering.
Related reading: How to Make a Mask for Coronavirus and Help Others at the Same Time
Practice Social distancing
- Stay home whenever possible
- If you do have to leave your home, keep at least six feet apart from others.
- Do not attend social gatherings
- Use drive-thru, pickup, or food delivery options instead of dining in public establishments
2. Help supply PPE for frontline workers
In this time of crisis, healthcare providers are in need of PPE, including disposable surgical masks, gloves, and gowns. Here’s how you can help protect them in their fight against the coronavirus.
Donate your own supplies
If you happen to have disposable masks, gloves, or gowns lying around your house, consider donating them. Contact your local healthcare facilities to see if they could use your donation. If not, ask them about what other supplies they might need instead, and reach out to your fellow community members to see if they can help.
Raise money for PPE
If you don’t have PPE to donate, consider crowdfunding for them. Crowdfunding offers a great way for your friends, family, and community to fundraise for coronavirus causes. By creating a online fundraiser, you can raise money for PPE supplies and transfer the funds directly to your bank account, allowing you to quickly purchase and deliver PPE to healthcare workers in need. Or, you can donate the funds to hospitals or healthcare organizations in need so that they can use them as needed. Check out these helpful fundraising tips and ideas to gain insight on how to run a successful fundraiser.
Alternatively, you can donate to an existing crowdfunding campaign. Organizations like Knix, Helping Alberta, and Canada Pooch have set up fundraisers to raise money for PPE, making it easy for compassionate people like you to take action and support healthcare workers on the frontlines of the pandemic.
3. Help feed healthcare workers
In response to the rising number of coronavirus cases, healthcare workers have been working long, arduous shifts, which leaves them with little-to-no time to eat. Here’s how you can help feed the heroes on the front lines of the pandemic.
Support organizations that feed healthcare workers
Many organizations and individuals have already shifted their focus to feeding populations in need, including frontline healthcare workers. One such individual in healthcare has launched a $200,000 campaign to provide meals to Toronto’s healthcare workers while support local restaurants. Help feed hungry healthcare workers by donating to one of their crowdfunding campaigns, or search for a different frontline responders fundraiser to support.
Treat your favourite healthcare provider to a meal
If you happen to know a healthcare provider who would appreciate a meal, consider buying them a gift card to a local restaurant. Or, to make an even bigger impact, you could crowdfund to provide meals for the entire ER staff at a local hospital. Reach out to the hospitals in your area to see if they’d be willing to coordinate a meal delivery.
4. Express your appreciation
Every day, healthcare workers are risking their lives to save people who are suffering from COVID-19. Show your support and lift their spirits by expressing your gratitude for them. If you happen to know a healthcare professional who’s working during this difficult time, consider supporting them in the following ways:
- Call them, text them, or mail them encouraging messages, thanking them for their hard work
- Send them a care package that’s full of their favourite things, including snacks, gift cards to their favourite stores, and personal care items like soap and hand sanitizer
- Give them a shout-out on social media, praising them for their hard work
If you don’t personally know any healthcare providers, don’t worry; you can still show your appreciation for them. Contact your local healthcare facilities to find out how you can deliver your messages of encouragement to frontline workers.
How will you help the helpers?
Healthcare workers around the country are putting everything on the line to care for their patients. Show your appreciation for them by creating a GoFundMe. With an online fundraiser, you can quickly and easily raise money to support frontline workers in your community and beyond. Are you ready to make a difference in this time of need? Start a GoFundMe today.