How to Quickly Raise Money for Your Pet’s Surgery
Few things blindside us more than the news that a beloved pet suddenly needs serious veterinary care or surgery. In an ideal world, there would be no consideration of cost, but the high price of veterinary care and surgery can be just out of reach for many of us.
The good news is that people successfully raise money for pet surgery and other veterinary care on GoFundMe every day with pet fundraising. Our community is more than 50 million strong, and our site has a section dedicated to pet care fundraising and animal welfare, including fundraising fundraisers for nonprofit organizations serving pets and other animals.
Your fundraiser will be welcomed
The best part of crowdfunding is not just the financial support you receive, but the emotional support offered by friends and family as you face this challenge. Over the years, your pet’s given so much to you and others emotionally (especially if your pet is an official emotional support animal). A fundraiser helps provide much-needed care for your pet and it can offer friends and family a welcome opportunity to give back, showing gratitude for years of love and comfort.
How much are we talking?
The cost of pet surgery varies by clinic and condition, but it averages $2,000 to $3,000. Often, however, those most dependent on pets are least prepared to cover the cost of an expensive surgical procedure. Setting up a fundraiser to cover the cost is something we often see people do for their friends and family, especially the elderly.
GoFundMe has a 0% platform fee for organizers. Our platform is always free for fundraisers, and our community has raised more than $5 billion to help those facing some of life’s biggest challenges.
Take advantage of our guides and resources
GoFundMe offers a wide range of resources to help you run the most effective fundraiser possible. We’ll help you learn how to tell your story, use creative fundraising ideas, share your fundraiser on social media, and more.
Add a fundraising event
Along with raising funds online, think about hosting a fundraising event for your pet. One proven idea: a dog wash. Have friends and family bring dogs by your home, and share the news of your dog wash with their social networks. Set up a kiddie pool full of water, and have some dog shampoo or biodegradable soap on hand. Ask patrons to donate to your GoFundMe fundraiser in lieu of payment. Check out our fundraising event ideas for more inspiration.
Additional assistance from organizations
To supplement your crowdfunding fundraiser, we recommend seeking out additional financial assistance from organizations that support animal welfare. Here are some well-regarded organizations that can help with veterinary bills.
- The Farley Foundation has helped over 10,500 pets and pet owners in need of assistance for vet bills.
- Canine Cancer Awareness offers help with vet bills and options for dogs diagnosed with cancer.
- Community Veterinary Outreach improves the health of homeless individuals and their pets by offering human health services and health education alongside preventative veterinary care, CVO seeks to improve access to veterinary and human health resources for an at-risk population
- Tails of Help is a nonprofit organization that provides assistance to Alberta pet owners who are facing financial hardship when their pets are ill or injured. The goal of the organization is to reduce the burden on animal shelters and humane societies.
- Guide Dog Users of Canada is a registered charity and they support guide dog handlers in financial need with vet expenses that are not routine.
- The Guide Dog Assistance Fund provides support for extraordinary veterinary expenses. Emergency or unexpected expenses include emergency care, surgical procedures, treatment for infections and fractures, long-term medications, and special diets.
Read to get help funding your pet’s recovery?
If you or someone you know has an animal who needs help with surgery or veterinary bills, you can start a fundraiser to raise money for pet surgery, or any other veterinary care your animal companion needs. It’s easy to set up an animal fundraiser on GoFundMe—launch yours today.