We met with the doctors here in Green Bay last Thursday, After long discussion and learning that St.Jude would accept Colton we learned that the protocol that they use for the hyploidentical transplant ( the chemo region prior to transplant) is not a good idea to put colton through this. The chemo regimen that St. Jude uses is different then what Madison uses and unfortunately the chemo region that St. Jude uses is what nearly killed Colton last year with his liver VOD.
The insurance company has approved Madison for the transplant but at the out of network benefits so we are responsible for an usual and customary charges that may come up. Which means basically on top of our 12,000 out of pocket it could be $1,000 to $500,000 and beyond. So until we try all the appeals process and go through that, our only option is to just continue on with chemo and wait. I only pray that the wait is ok for our family and Colton is able to find peace.
It makes me sad that our only option for a potential cure has been ripped out of our hands because of insurance and money. There is only 2 hospitals in the united states that tries this transplant and its the only potential option for a cure. so now our family has to for the time being accept that fact that we have lost this battle and we may lose our son too. Please pray for our family, they tell us with chemo alone it will not cure Colton's disease it will only buy time. I pray that we will get comfort and peace.
I apologize for not updating this site sooner. Things have been a little hectic around here. But... we have some exciting news!!! Jeff and Tara are expecting their third baby! Tara is about 13 weeks along. Although this clearly isn't the greatest time, we truly believe that God has blessed them with this baby. So what do you think? Boy or Girl? Thank you for supporting and taking this journey with Jeff and Tara. They greatly appreciate it... in fact, we ALL appreciate it! <3 Bridget
Finally the whole family had a nice relaxing weekend! We really did nothing but watch football together! It was nice to just sit at home for a bit. Camden and Colton have been playing all morning! Just got done with some breakfast before we get our labs done. Colton keeps asking me when the packers play again that kid just loves Aaron Rodgers and the packers. Colton has had a restful week so far a bit tired but is enjoying playing games with mom. Camden is up to no good trying to walk! I don't know if I'm ready for that!! We go back for round four of chemo on October 27 th. Hope all is well with everyone!!! Miss you all!!!!
Yesterday was a big day for Colton - he got to meet Tim Tebow of the Denver Broncos! Tara had to explain to Colton that Tim was like "Aaron Rodgers, but for a different team." LOL! What a great guy to go up and visit the pediatric oncology floor. Colton is back home now and has finished his 3rd round of chemo. Keep fightin' buddy~! Bridget
Today Colton had a visitor! Her name was Mrs. Gia! Colton's third round of chemo has been pushed back to tomorrow. When Tara took him in for his stem cell rescue yesterday, they were only able to collect 1/2 of what they needed. In the end they will be harvesting over 6 million stem cells for when he gets his high-dose chemo. So far things are pretty steady - so let's hope it stays that way! Hope everyone is doing well :) <3 Bridget
Received some excellent news today! Colton got his bone marrow tests back and they show no traces of cancer! He goes in for his third round chemo next Tuesday. It's amazing how much progress he has made with only 2 rounds. It seems like yesterday that Tara called me and said the cancer has spread to his marrow. All your prayers - and obviously the medicine - are working! Thanks everyone for the support. Oh - check out Colton's Halloween costume. Pretty sweet, huh? <3 Bridget
Received some great news today... Colton's CT scan came back and it looks like his body is responding to chemo! The tumors are shrinking :) The attached picture is the official report - if you're into all that medical stuff. Me - I don't understand most of it. But the results are good! Thanks you so much for your prayers and support. Keep them coming! *Bridget
There a couple of things I would like to share with everyone. The first being that if you are on Facebook, please "like" LaFontaine Hyundai and for every like they receive they will donate $1 towards Childhood Cancer Research. The second thing I wanted to share was a video I came across. I found it to be quite beautiful and wanted to share it with everyone else. Hope everyone is doing well! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK9CSie_3gU
Hello! We came home from the hospital Wednesday night just in time to pick up Grandma Debbie from the airport. While at the hospital we had
2 blood transfusions and 2 platelet
transfusios. We have been doing well
ever since. Colton had his labs drawn
today and our numbers were within range so we get to relax this weekend
and just be home!!! Colton goes in Tuesday for a CT scan and Thursday for a stem cell rescue since he will
need those stem cells in January (when he gets his high dose chemo.)
He is doing great at home and trying
to walk a little more everyday to
build up his strength in his legs. We are so blessed with friends and family
who love us so much I can't tell you
how appreciative I am of the support.
Thank you to all.
Colton, was a very healthy 2 1/2 year old little boy, On Thursday August 11th, we notcied Colton was not feeling well. We went to children's memorial hospital on Monday August 15th for fluids. After about an hour the Dr. came back again to let us know that Colton was going to be flown by helicopter to Children's hospital in Aurora Colorado because his lab values were showing he was in Kidney failure. (Creatinine and potassium were at a 9). Colton received one round of dialysis and then was brought down that night for a Cat-scan. then we would have to wait till morning for results.
As the PICU doctors made rounds they came and updated us on Colton's prognosis, he had 2 large masses in his belly and a bunch of small ones and he would have to go into surgery that day to also get stints into his ureters (kidneys) to try to regain kidney function back. When he went into surgery they took a small piece of the mass to biopsy to tell us what kind of cancer we are dealing with...
Colton was diagnosed with a cancer called neauroblastoma that is either stage 3 or stage 4 cancer. We were told that his chances of recovery are at a 60%-70%. Colton will be receiving several rounds of chemotherapy and we are looking at a very long road ahead of us. We ask for all the prayers we can get and if possible, a donation of any amount to help with our pending hospital bills.