From Rebecca Halcomb
Beau and I just wanted to thank everyone for the prayers, meals, monetary support, and general help these past 7 months. (And please forgive me if you did not receive a thank you note. I have tried to keep up with them but with so many I've been overwhelmed and at times have lost track) We could not have done it without our Lord and everyone of you! Beau is on the road to recovery but there are still some obstacles now and in the next 2 years until he can be considered cured. "For we know not what the future holds but we know who holds the future." His energy and spirits are all heading in the right direction. I am so excited to say that every day I get a little more of my husband back! Praise God! Beau will begin very slowing easing back into work here soon. I also start back to work today and have many anxieties about that. Please pray for us as we once again start a "new normal". Cancer has forever changed not only Beau but our entire family. This ugly disease has left us with months of emotions we are still facing. I am thankful though that through Beau's cancer we have grown closer as a couple and more importantly closer to our Lord! Please continue to keep us in your prayers. We love and appreciate you all!
From Rebecca Halcomb:
Heading to the hospital bright and early for round 7 of chemo. Platelets were around 90,000 on Friday so we are quite sure he will qualify to start tomorrow evening at some point. This is the longer of the 2 regimens so he will he inpatient until Monday at some point. I'll also not be able to stay with him the whole time like I normally do. I have to be home to take Kellen to his first day of preschool, have a doctors appointment of my own and a wedding I need to be at. Not looking forward to being separated from him for this long! Please be praying chemo does indeed start tomorrow, that Beau stays strong this week and his body does not get as worn out as it has (each time has been continually worse), that I don't have major anxiety about coming home and Beau's spirits stay up and positive as I'm away and he misses Kellen's first day of school. We plan on Face Timing on our walk there so he can be involved! Praising God for technology like this during these times!
From Rebecca Halcomb:
Actually not even sure where to start right now but I wanted to let everyone know what has transpired today and what we could really use prayer about. We left early this morning for Cleveland to be admitted for round 7. Unfortunately Beau's platelet level is only around half what it needs to be to qualify for it so he was sent home and we'll try again next Tuesday! :( There is a standard protocol that is followed to ensure the best outcomes. We have now wavered from this due to other possibly more serious side affects. We completely understand, KNOW God knew this path we are on before we got here and trust Him but it is still disappointing all the same. In the meantime our air conditioner has malfunctioned/broke and we have no air for the night. Kids are off to my moms to stay comfortable. On top off all this Beau begins coughing, his throat is sore and is having tightening in his chest. I call the doctor to explain and we are now sitting in the ER waiting for a bunch of tests to be run. Oh and did I mention yesterday we almost had to take both boys to the ER for completely separate things!!! Yes the last 2 days have been disasters and I think we deserve a redo!
Please pray Beau's platelets rebound so chemo can start Tuesday and that he only has a cold that does no progress any further. Also that we all can get some much needed sleep, that the air conditioner gets fixed quickly tomorrow and that all of us stay out of harms way! It's been a year for the books that's for sure! The closer we get to The Lord and the more we are relying on Him through this the harder the devil is trying to fight.
Warning this is a long one! :)
Beau was released from the hospital Wednesday afternoon. Yay! His counts are beginning to rise again and our prayer is that his platelets increase enough for round 7 of chemo to begin Tuesday. He was at 30,000 today, at his blood check, but is suppose to be at least 100,000 (which might not happen in time). The doctor did say they would consider him for the next round if it is over 50,000. If he does not qualify to start Tuesday it will push back everything. :(
This last emergency stay was made even tougher by the fact that Kellen had some severe separation anxiety and I had to leave Beau and come home to him. I have felt so torn this entire journey not knowing who I should be taking care of or staying with. I have felt good knowing my mom is taking fantastic care of our boys during all the stays but God made it clear this time that I needed to go home to my boys. It was soooooo hard leaving Beau at the hospital for 2 days and 2 nights by himself. I felt like I was abandoning him. So also please be praying for Kellen during these inpatient stays.
The good news is that there are only 2 more rounds of this week long chemo but the bad news is that each round wears him down more and more. The effects are compounding at a fast rate which means more exhaustion and feeling winded, lots of sleeping, more blood and/or platelet transfusions along with crazy blood work results that require many other things to tweak it back to a safe place so he does not have to live in a bubble or worry about bleeding. The doctors said that this may continue up to 6 months after treatment is over too! Blah! We are so ready for this season in our lives to be over!!!!
On a side note we had something hit very close to home this week and here is the story: Remember the 23 year old named Brennan I had mentioned that was receiving treatment for leukemia on the same floor? He came 3 days before Beau arrived and was there inpatient the whole entire time enduring 3 bone marrow transplants. We were at the hospital stay for each of these milestone days that he received the transplants. I got to know his mom through many talks in the hall and the family room. I was even there and got to hug her the day the second one did not take and was able to pray with her. See the third was his last chance. It was that day I made the choice to sign up with the Be the Match Bone Marrow Transplant Registry in his honor. The third transplant did take and so we were thrilled when he got released during Beau's 6th round and after 109 days inpatient!! Well a few days after leaving the hospital he came back for regular blood work that showed everything was bottomed out just like Beau gets. This time Brennan was not feeling well and had a fever like Beau gets too! He was admitted and after tests the doctors found out he had a brain infection. He then entered the ICU and died 3 days later on August 14th! This really took the wind out of both of our sails! I was home with the boys the night Beau called me with the news and lets just say MANY tears were shed and I had a mini break down. Please pray for Brennan and his entire family as they deal with such a great loss!
Beau update: The doctors are thinking this is a neutropenic fever caused by having zero neutrophils and white blood cells. Blood work today was even worse than yesterday. (Didn't know that was possible!) Won't be 100% sure until results come back from the blood cultures. Right now they are doing fluids, antibiotics and pain meds for the terrible headache. Fever is on its way back up again after staying away last night. He is at EXTREMELY high risk for infection so even after the fever subsides he will be staying till his counts rebound. Hopefully that happens sooner rather than later. Thank you for all your prayers!
From Rebecca Halcomb:
After a rough day yesterday including rock bottom blood work, a double blood and platelet transfusion, a constant headache and sleeping 15 hours last night...Beau spiked a fever around lunch and we are currently in the ER at University Hospitals waiting to be admitted. Getting fluids and antibiotics while trying to figure out what's going on. The doctors do not believe it's the chemical meningitis because he didn't receive the spinal chemo last week. Hope to get a room soon and some answers. Please be praying it's not an infection and the stay here is short. Leaving the boys especially when it's not planned is becoming tougher for both of us. Preschool orientation for Kellen is Wednesday and I know he wants daddy to be able to attend (and so do I). It's things like this Beau has to miss out on that hurt the worst. Will try to update everyone tomorrow if we know more.
Please consider supporting Beau Halcomb and his family as he battles cancer.
On April 19th, 2013 Beau was diagnosed with stage 2 Burkitt's lymphoma, a high grade, rare form of aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. He is currently being treated at University Hospitals Seidman Cancer Center.He will endure 8 rounds of weeklong inpatient chemo interspersed with outpatient chemo, bone marrow biopsies, spinal taps, spinal chemo and emergency hospital stays due to chemical meningitis. He is husband to his adoring wife, Rebecca and father of two young boys, Kellen (3) and Camden (8 months). Beau is 36.
Campaign Not Ready
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account.
Our team has contacted them with the solution, it's a simple fix!
Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account.