I am an avid cyclist aiming to represent the United States at the Paralympic Games in Road Cycling in Rio in 2016. To do this, I need your help.
Training for the Paralympics costs money. Every athlete knows this and every athlete needs support. In my sport, para-cycling, there is not only the training and qualifying competitions that I have to fund, but I need modified equipment in order to participate. With your support, in 2014, I was able to get an approved trike for competition and compete in my first race – the USA Para-Cycling Road National Championships in Madison, Wisconsin – where I placed 5th. Thank you for making that happen.
In 2015, the funds you contribute will support participation in national and international qualifying events, training, and equipment maintenance.
Now, let me tell you about myself, why I believe I have a chance, and why, with your support, I can make a podium finish a reality. I ride over 6,000 miles each year and with proper training, I have made huge progress. Cycling has been a form of rehabilitation for me physically from chronic issues resulting from living with Cerebral Palsy as well as mentally teaching me confidence in my strength. It is now my personal mission to raise awareness that people with physical limitations can lead an active life through sports. And while I've had many challenges in life, simply put, I never give up until I achieve what I set out to do.
Some highlights of my cycling career thus far:
- June 2015 – Attended the US Paralympics Cycling Talent Development Camp at the Olympic Training Center, Chula Vista, CA
- June 2015 – Placed 2nd in the Road Race and Time Trial at the Redlands Bicycle Classic, Redlands, CA
- February 2015 – Attended the US Paralympics Cycling Talent Development Camp, Clermont, FL
- July 2014 – Placed 5th in the Road Race and Time Trial at the USA Para-Cycling Road National Championships, Madison, Wisconsin
- June 2014 – Racing Trike finished by Davidson Bicycles in Seattle
- 2012-2013 – Cycle Oregon, a 2-day, 150 mile tour
- 2010-2013 – Board of Directors for the Santa Rosa Cycling Club
- 2010-2013 – 4-time finisher of Levi Leipheimer’s King Ridge GranFondo
- July 2010 – Completed first organized ride, the Healdsburg Harvest Century Bicycle Tour
My goal, with your help, is a podium finish in Rio. It will be a lot of work, but it is possible. I look forward to regularly updating you on the incredible, yet slightly daunting, journey ahead. Please check out my website ( www.behindtheride.com
) and like my Facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/davidparalympics2016
Thank you for your continued support,