Hello, my name is Casey Shulenbarger and I request your help with fundraising for my 8th grade trip to Washington DC and the East Coast in June 2013 through Educational Travel Services Inc. This trip will give me a close look at our National history and heritage. This is not a school sponsored trip so my parents and I will be fully responsible for paying for it. I know this sounds like a lot but I need to raise $3100 to go. The money will pay for everything including: airfare, activities, meals, all admissions, lodging, security, escorts, guides and drivers.
The destinations on the trip are Washington DC, Williamsburg VA, Gettysburg PA, Lancaster PA, and New York NY. Visiting these cities will be a great opportunity for an outstanding educational experience.
Now I'd like to take some time to tell you what we'll be doing on the trip.
1) Some of the activities and places we will visit are, first in Washington DC, the Arlington National Cemetery where we will visit the Kennedy Grave sites, the Challenger Memorial and Tomb of the Unknowns.
2) Then onto dinner and ghost tours of Old Town Alexandria. We will also visit the Lincoln, Jefferson, Iwo Jima and MLK Memorials.
3) Day 2 we will be touring Mt. Vernon where we will learn about the life of George Washington as we explore the plantation home of the 1st US President.
4) Then we will visit the Holocaust Memorial Museum to learn more about one of the most shocking events in human history.
5) To finish off the 2nd day we will be touring the FDR, Korean and WWII Memorials.
6) Day 3 starts out with a trip to the Spy Museum and Smithsonian Complex where we will see the Natural History, Air and Space and American History Museums.
7) On the afternoon of Day 3 we will be taking a tour of our Nations Capitol where we will take a moment to see Congress in "action". ("In Action" as if that will happen) At the Capitol we will also visit an office of a local Senator and Explore the Library of Congress, the largest library in the world.
8) Next, one of my favorite history events to learn about, we will be investigating at the Ford Theatre how and why Pres. Lincoln was assassinated in 1865.
9) On day 4 we will visit Colonial Williamsburg to experience an entire town that has been recreated from the buildings to the workers and blacksmiths of an 18th century British colony.
10) After visiting Williamsburg we will travel to Hershey PA where we will get a chance to blow off some steam at the Hershey Amusement Park where they have a world class array of roller coasters and water rides before we travel to Gettysburg PA.
11) Day 5 we will be taking a tour of Gettysburg where we will visit the sight of one of the most hard fought battles in US history, take part in reenactments and see where so many people died in the fight for freedom and equality.
12) Next we will travel to Lancaster PA to tour the countryside, shop in some Amish townships and "enjoy" a home cooked Amish meal in an Amish home.
13) At the end of the day we will travel to New York city.
14) While in New York on day 6 we will visit the Statue of Liberty and take a tour of Ellis Island for a true immigration experience. We will also be visiting Ground Zero.
15) Next we will visit Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral and explore the city with a visit to Sacks 5th Avenue with a 5th Ave walking tour..
16) On the evening of the 6th day we get to enjoy a Broadway play on Broadway. Visit Time Square to take a group photo as a keepsake and visit the Top of the Rock for incredible 360 views of NY from 70 stories up.
17) Day 7 we will be taking a motor coach tour to explore NY neighborhoods including Central Park, Homes of the Rich and Famous, and the Lincoln Center.
18) Next before we depart for home we will continue our tour to Soho, Greenich Village, Little Italy and if I can raise just a bit more money I can shop on Canal St. in Chinatown where I can negotiate for good bargains.
We will be holding fundraising events such as car washes and garage sales when the weather warms back up.
Thank you for taking your time to read about this trip that I am so excited to go on. Also, thank you for any donations you make to help my parents and I out with the costs. Once again thank you very much!!