We fought the first round with the highest hopes. "We are going to beat this, this is nothing." We, well she, endured the mastectomy of her left breast. We fought through the sickness that came with chemo. We kept our chins up, we will beat this. We went through the MRIs, the blood tests, the X-rays, just like we were supposed to. We finally got the good news that we were in remission. We rejoiced, we beat it.
Less than a year later we found the lump in her right breast. My heart fell away. Mastectomy for that breast, it took two weeks till the surgery. Nearly every day the lump grew until surgery. Alli was 3 by then. "Yes mommy is very sick" Alli was so brave, so caring "Mommy it'll be ok, can I kiss your boo boo?"
More tests, second opinion at Dana-Farber "Yes your doctor is following the prescribed path for your diagnosis." "We have to wait and see if the treatment is effective."
The cancer has metastasized to her bones now. It is all throughout her skeletal system. The chemo from the first round wasn't effective, we are doing hormone suppression therapy now. Every day her health declines. She has pain in new areas of her body. The pain increases in the bones that already hurt. She tells her friends and family that it isn't that bad. I see her when she gets in to bed. I see her when she gets out of bed. It's worse than she tells them. It's worse than she let's herself believe.
Her health gets worse every day. The only answer we get is "We have to wait and see how her body reacts to the treatment.
She has been out of work for four months now. In the meantime the house has been letting us down. We had to have major plumbing work done. That led to the discovery that we needed major electrical work done. We knew about the structural work (remove sliding door, replace with standard door.) Now Winter approaches and we need to buy oil.
Amidst this, the car decided to die. We bought a used SUV to replace it.
We were all ready for the normal life. Ready to pay the bills and move on, be happy. Then cancer happened. I feel like I was smacked in the head with a 10 ton hammer. We were going to have more children, we were going to travel, we were going to be normal. Now we are in limbo. Patti is going do die, she is 41. Our daughter is 3. Patti's other daughter is 15. This isn't what is supposed to happen. Patti's fervent wish is to take her daughters to Disney while she is still able. Please help her do that. Please.