Tom Blake’s Bills

$10,000 goal

Campaign created 10 months ago
No Longer Accepting Donations
 Share on Facebook

For those of you who don’t know, Tom has fallen seriously ill.

Wednesday the 19th he wasn’t feeling well and came home from work to relax and feel better. He had a sore throat, chills, fever, and stomach pains. We thought it was the flu. Two days of this persisted and I dragged him to urgent care to have him looked at. He was diagnosed with a quick test to have strep throat. We went home with a prescription that we thought would help him get better. Turns out the side affects made him feel worse. He had horrible stomach pain, headaches, and nausea. So he went back to the doctor and requested something else on Tuesday the 25th.

That night everything seemed normal. We went to bed like usual and set our alarms for work the next day. Later overnight at 2:30 am on Wednesday the 26th our wonderful dog Lola started barking and woke me up. I shouted at her to stop and put her back in bed and realized Tom didn’t react. I heard what I thought was snoring but it sounded weird, like he was awake and trying to breathe or trying to throw up. I walked around the bed to check on him and there was foam coming out of his mouth and dried chunks of blood in his nose. I screamed and turned on the lights and grabbed my phone and dialed 911. He was unresponsive but breathing. It wasn’t until I moved him that I noticed a pool of blood on the bed that looked like it might have come from his nose.

The ambulance took us to the ER and he was intubated (put on a ventilator) at the hospital in case he stopped breathing. They took an X-ray, cat scan, MRI, lumbar puncture. We are still waiting on answers. He woke up and seemed to be normal. He asked why he was here and what happened which we expected because he was sedated.

Thursday and Friday however he got worse. He can remember faces of family members but he can’t remember anything from 5-10 minutes ago. He is constantly asking where are we? Why are we here? Are you ok? Why does my head hurt? He can’t remember previous memories like a wedding from earlier this year or where he works.

The most heart wrenching thing is he asks for me if I’m not in the room. Is Rebecca ok? Where is she? And if I’m with him the first thing he asks is if I’m ok. Am I in pain? And he tells me he loves me constantly. I’m so grateful he still recognizes me.

We are waiting for multiple tests to still come back. We are working with doctors, neurologists, and infectious disease. The tests take a week to come back because cultures have to be grown. They’ve suggested Lyme disease, West Nile Virus, meningitis, encephalitis. And the list goes on.

I have never been more frightened in my life. One minute we were planning on starting a family and the next our lives have been swept out from underneath us.

This page is to help us to stay on our feet and help us get back to normal. They brought in a neurologist from Rush and she said he is disabled and will be for at least 6 months. Hopefully it will be over sooner but we have no answers if it will ever be over.

I want to thank everyone who has come to this page and read about Tom and I today. I want to thank my friends and family for their love and support in this time. Both of us and our family is surely being tested, especially Tom. I pray he will come back to us.

Any donations help, and even if you can’t donate please share our story! Please send love, good thoughts, and prayers! Maybe even some faith, trust, and pixie dust! Love you all!


P.S.  At this time Tom is not taking visitors. I know his family and friends want to see him but he gets panicked when someone new comes into the room and it can be difficult to calm him. He is in a lot of pain.
Thank you!
+ Read More
A small update and thank you to everyone.

Tom is still at Northwestern receiving the best care possible. He is completing his last plasma transfer today. Hopefully we will see some strong results after that.

He is walking and moving more confidently and his voice sounds more “normal”.

At this time we have decided to return all of the gofundme donations to our donors. You should receive your money back within 3-7 business days.

I really appreciate all of your love and support through this difficult time.

Thank you everyone -Rebecca
+ Read More
Hey everyone,
Just a quick update. Nothing new to report. Tom is still in the same condition. He had his third plasma transfer last night and there are no tests planned for today. He will have two more plasma transfers, one on Thursday and the other on Saturday.

We still don’t have a diagnosis and are waiting on test results. Hopefully we will be getting some this week. Today starts week 3 at northwestern, week 4 in a hospital.
Please keep up in your thoughts and prayers!

Love you all! -Rebecca
+ Read More
Been a long day for tom today. He’s had another EEG, and they’ve hooked him up with a port for a plasma transfer. They’ve delayed the PET scan for now. He’s going to have a plasma transfer every other day for 5 treatments. And they also have given him an echocardiogram today. Poor guy, going through so much. Hopefully he won’t remember it all.
Muscle biopsy was done yesterday, they have to wait a few weeks for that to come back.
Thanks for reading the update! Not much else to share as of today. Watching a lot of cute animal videos to keep our spirits up! Maybe I’ll ask for people to tag me in them on Facebook later.. everyone knows I love puppy pictures and videos! Who doesn’t?!
Love to you all! -Rebecca
+ Read More
Some bad news and some good news.

Bad news is the medical intern who told me the other day that his EEG came back normal was wrong. The attending told us last night that his EEG came back abnormal. They can see something is wrong but they are trying to figure out what.

Good news is his head has finally stopped hurting. His arms are in pain from the IVs because they had to move them a couple times but his pain level is only a 2 for his arms.

They’ve brought in another specialist to see him yesterday. He’s a neuro-immunologist. The results came back from the lumbar puncture at Porter and he does not have NMDA receptor encephalitis according to them but Northwestern is still going to wait for their panel to come back to confirm. Northwestern still believes this is an autoimmune that is attacking his brain hence the neuro-immunologist.. He is having a muscle biopsy today to test for mitochondrial diseases. Most of these are very rare and we don’t know what that will mean if they come back positive. He also has a PET scan scheduled for tomorrow.
The Dr wants to have some genetic tests done but the hospital won’t do them for inpatients. He would have to come back as an outpatient, so they are discussing moving him to a rehab/memory care center after the last of these tests are done because there aren’t many more that they can do.

He had another MRI last night and we are waiting to see what the results are for the MRI.

I need all your thoughts and prayers everyone. Last night I sat by Tom’s bed and I finally broke down in front of him. I told him we’ve been in the hospital for two weeks and he said he didn’t understand. I told him the doctors are trying to find out why you can’t remember and help fix you but they can’t figure it out. I need you to come home because I can’t do this without you. I need you. He asked me how? I said how what? How can I come home? I told him you have to fight! He asked how again? I said you have to tell your brain and tell your body to fight whatever this is so you can come back to me and come home! And he started to cry too and he said ok. I asked him every five minutes what are you going to do? He said come home. I asked how are you going to come home? He said fight. I asked him every five minutes for an hour and then we went to bed. This morning he forgot everything we said to each other.
But I’m going to keep reminding him to fight!
Love you all! -Rebecca
+ Read More
Read a Previous Update

$10,000 goal

Campaign created 10 months ago
No Longer Accepting Donations
 Share on Facebook
Your share could be bringing in donations. Sign in to track your impact.
We will never post without your permission.
In the future, we'll let you know if your sharing brings in any donations.
We weren't able to connect your Facebook account. Please try again later.
No donations yet. Help launch this campaign and become the first donor.
Use My Email Address
By continuing, you agree with the GoFundMe
terms and privacy policy
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account. Return to Campaign

Are you ready for the next step?
Even a $5 donation can help!
Donate Now Not now
Connect on Facebook to keep track of how many donations your share brings.
We will never post on Facebook without your permission.