Bernard the Cleftie Puppy
Bernie is a vivacious English Bulldog puppy that was born into unfortunate circumstance. You see, Bernie was born with a cleft palate, a birth defeat leaving a "hole" in the roof of his mouth that leads directly to his nasal passage. Bernie came to my care when he was 4 weeks old where he was provided with the best medicine I could give, 24 hour care, and tube feedings around the clock to ensure he got his proper nutrition.
Now if he hadn't overcome enough, at 4 months old he developed discospondylitis (doctors are still dumbfounded about to this day). In order to save Bernie, all my resources went into getting him the care he needed. Several thousand dollars later and he is thriving today.
To me, it was never about the money... just about giving him the best opportunity to have a thriving quality of life.
Bernie is due to have surgery at Washington State University on December 14, 2016 to correct his ever growing cleft with some of the best surgeons available, since with all his previous complications, he is at high "anesthetic risk." (Meaning, the odds are not in his favor). Not having surgery however, isn't an option. This puppy doesn't want to live in a bubble. He is full of life and spunk, but struggles to breath without bits of food clogging his already tight nasal passage. He hides when "cleft boogies" come out his nose, almost as if he is embarrassed by his situation.
Currently we live in Utah, and I will have to take time off to drive him to Pullman, WA for the repair. Every little bit helps to take the strain off of trying to give him the best care possible, and also take care of other needs of my little family.
100% of all donations will go directly to this little guys care. Follow our journey on Instagram for frequent updates.
Thank you all for your love and support. Please do not hesitate to contact me with questions or concerns!
Me and B are here at WSU Veterinary Hospital for his life saving surgery. Going in, we were given an estimate of about 2.5K for his cleft palate repair. Today, with additional testing and supportive care he needs we are expecting about 4K instead.
The good news is, all the tests came back with him being as fit as possible for surgery. The odds are more in our favor than they ever have been for this boy, but the unexpected additional cost has me scrapping every penny I can to provide for this boy one last big shot at a normal life.
We have done everything possible to prevent the horrible from happening and we have been given the best news that we are by far making the right decision.
Thank you for anything you can give or even by sharing our story. It means the world
As many years that I spent in the veterinary field, I have never seen anything like it. I rushed him to the emergency vet and he has been given a cautious prognosis.... This account originally was to set up the funds for his cleft repair, now is an emergency fund to keep our sweet boy alive.