Help Victims of Cyclone Pam Vanuatu
When we heard about the beginnings of Cyclone Pam (March 9), we had no idea the cyclone would intensify with an unpredictable and unrelenting path of destruction. The impact of 230/kilometers an hour winds on any nation can be devastating. With much of the population in Vanuatu living in coastal and low-lying areas the loss of lives and extensive devastation from this ‘Super Cyclone’ is almost inevitable.
Last night (Friday 13 March), islands in Shefa province – including Efate island where the capital Port Vila is located – faced winds of up to 280 kilometers an hour. As night fell, and the storm intensified, we heard about increasing power-outages and telecommunication breakdowns. Calling home throughout the night, we could hear the fear in the voices of my family and friends.
For those of us watching from overseas, a degree of anxiety and helplessness had grown, but also resulted in a unique and obvious comradery between Vanuatu wantoks on social media.
We are asking for your donations to support established organisations namely Vanuatu National Disaster Mangement Office - NDMO to finance their existing recovery plans in devistated areas.
Additional Information about the Campaign
This campaign has been started collaboratively by a group of Ni-Vanuatu students studying abroad. Our specific names are as follows:
(Australia – University of Canberra)
(New Zealand – Christchurch Institute of Technology)
(Fiji – University of the South Pacific)
(New Zealand – University of Canterbury)
ABC reports show that 70% of the 69,000 households in Vanuatu may have been displaced by Cyclone Pam. The remaining 30% are likely to have experienced minor property damage. Local produce in the 65 inhabited islands have also been affected by the strong gale force winds reaching up to 230/kilometres an hour. Amongst those affected are our parents, grandparents, brothers and sisters, uncles and aunties and close friends.
The money obtain from the campaign will be wired over to Vanuatu through BRED Bank then to the National Disaster Management Office (NDMO) - a Vanuatu Government official office setup to assess, evaluate and coordinate various aid relief efforts from Red Cross, UNICEF, Red Cross, etc. NDMO with its local knowledge knows best of where to distribute basic needs and other help in Vanuatu at this difficult time. NDMO is now aware of the efforts being made by students studying abroad.
Once the disaster trust fund has been created, we will then facilitate transfer accordingly.
Account Name: GVT of Vanuatu Forex Account (VUV)
Account Number: 229663010047
Bank Name: BRED (Vanuatu) Ltd
Bank Address: PMB 9088, Lini Highway, Port Vila, Vanuatu, call +678 29111
Swift Code: BREDVUVU
Tim thanks for your comment its a genuine enquiry ... we are Ni-Vanuatu students from Australia, NZ and Fiji campaigning to help NDMO we have all been at some point employed by the Government and are connected to people in NDMO ... we feel we can't sit back and do nothing which is why we have started this online campaign follow us on face book using the link below ... check the administrators of this group thats us if you have any further enquires feel free to inbox us. Tankio Tumas!! https://www.facebook.com/groups/VanuatuCyclonePam2015/
Hi there. Just need to know if this is genuinely connected to NDMO in Port Vila. Thanks.
Everyone donate now