Stella's urgent medical treatment
Due to the lack of appetite, she quickly lost 15 precious pounds and our Vet. surgically implanted a feeding tube for regular feedings at home. 3 months have now passed and 2 additional X-rays tests results show that the powerful and extremely expensive anti-fungal medication as well as two rounds of antibiotics has had little to no effect and showing no improvement.
Blastomycosis, if not contained and controlled, will eventually move from the initial infected area (Stella’s lungs) to her eyes causing blindness, bones, intestines, CNS (central nervous system) and brain.
Unfortunately, after 3 mths. of this unsuccessful treatment, her medical bills have exhausted our entire emergency fund and we are left with only two options. The first is to reconcile within ourselves that we have done everything that we can do for her and let her go thru humane euthanasia. This is a difficult decision at any point however, Stella has rallied in many ways and has shown so much improvement, gaining weight back and her immune system is fighting very hard.
Our second option is to try a new drug and treatment plan that will require consultation with the University of Guelph and the Veterinary Emergency Clinic in Toronto where they will administer a series of injection drug treatments directly into her lungs. She will need a lengthy hospitalization and constant IV drip and supervision. This plan will cost a minimum of $3500 and costs could go as high as $6000.
Needless to say, we are desperate to do whatever it takes to bring our Stella back to health. However, we need financial support to do it.
We are beyond grateful for any donations generated from this social outreach.
Brenda and David Temple
It is with unbearable sadness that we are writing to tell you that our beloved Stella has lost her fight and is now resting comfortably and peacefully wherever it is that special animals go when they leave us.
It has been a very difficult four months however, the love and support that we’ve received from family and friends has been overwhelming and words cannot express how grateful we are for all that was done to help us and Stella.
We will always remember Stella for her brilliance, her adorable sweet personality and her hilarious playful nature.
Thank you all once again and all the best to everyone.
Brenda and Dave
P.S. After paying for all of Stella's treatments and tests, there is still $354 in this fund. We want to pay it forward and will be donating this money to The Farley Foundation. Established by the Ontario Veterinary Medial Association in 2001, it assists people in financial need by subsidizing the cost of veterinary care for the pets that mean the world to them.
Brenda and Dave - my heart breaks to hear your latest news about Stella. Such a horrible ordeal. It must have been so painful to watch her struggle to get well. Our doggie family members are with us all to briefly but they leave such an indelible mark in our lives. I am hoping your happy memories of your girl will sustain you through this difficult time. big hugs for you all xoxo, Tracey
The Chocolate lab in the profile picture contracted blasto last year and I have sent some details through your cousin. After a two week hospital stay, We were asked to come in and put her down on December 5, 2014- she was on IV for food, fluid and antibiotics, with oxygen tubes stitched into her nose, being treated with sporanox and prednisone (steroid). We paid for her to be euthanized based on her behaviour and condition but when they brought her into the room (unhooked) she leapt off the bed and ran to me. Five hours later we ended up taking her home and sh eventually made a full recovery (she lost a quarter of one lung to cell death but you would never know it). I gave your cousin the contact for a US specialist that will likely consult for free and I hope and pray you have the same fortune we did.