Jess' Family Fund - Essure Recovery
You may have noticed that the above amount has changed. Some aspects of our situation have changed and I will outline the breakdown of the amount above as well as the aspects of our situation that have changed. We are now preparing for the worst-case scenario because that's what seems most likely to occur.
1. My disability has been denied going back to 11/6. I have t been paid from my job since then.
2. My job is no longer protected.
3. If I lose my job, I will lose my health insurance.
4. My disability was denied in spite of multiple doctors advising bed rest until I've recovered from the next surgeries.
5. I may not have any future income and may have to pay for my surgery out of pocket.
6. The leave company will make their final decision on Christmas Eve. I've had all of my doctors send in supporting information but the leave company's current denial is baseless and I am concerned that they will continue to deny me without reason.
7. We have lost our day care subsidy. Once I'm able to return to work, we will have to reapply for it. It will take 6-12 months to get our subsidy back. I will have to pay full price for day care in the meantime.
-Full price day care for 12 months is $30,000.
Here is our original story:
At some point, as yet undetermined by my surgeon, I will have to spend two weeks in Houston, away from my children in order to have two more surgeries. I will have to find someone to watch them while I am away.
Right now I am beginning my 3rd month away from my job. Because of this, I am going to lose my child care assitance as of November 15th; bringing the amount I have to pay per month to $2,500 versus the $300 I was paying. We can reapply for assistance once I return to work after recovering from my next two surgeries, but the wait time once we apply is estimated to be six months to a year.
The surgeries I am having are due to an overgrowth of scar tissue in my pelvic cavity caused by Essure- a permanent birth control device that I had placed in 2013 and had to have removed in 2014. I have already had two surgeries in an attempt to undo the damage caused to my body from Essure; one that I paid for out of pocket and another I am still paying off with a loan. Currently no one is able to sue Essure because they have federal protection.
I'm in the worst pain of my life. Most days I am unable to get out of bed. My children are worried about me. My 13 year son told me last night that he is worried that I will die.
Any funds received will be used for our living expenses, which have been negatively impacted by lapses in disability pay (My disability pay will decrease next month from 100% of my normal rate of pay to 70%),
unpaid child support and my medical expenses. They will also be used for my transportation to Houston for surgery and for child care for my five children; both while I'm away in surgery and to keep them in the day care they currently attend and love. We waited two years for a spot to open up at their current day care and the staff is part of their support system and an extension of our family. My children are so worried about my health, I would like them to retain a sense of normalcy by being able to continue to attend their day care.
I cannot express how thankful I am for any contribution to me and my family. Any help would be greatly appreciated and would touch the lives of my five children and help keep them in a stable environment while I become healthy. If we are able to keep them in day care, I will be able to return to work once I'm well. Without day care, I won't be able to return to my job and will lose my health insurance. Any support you can give will keep the life I've built for my children intact.
Looking over my medical records, he said that the damage was too great for him to feel comfortable operating on me. I asked him if he would put that in writing, to secure more time off work. He refused. I asked him to put that I won't recover from my diagnosis of Adhesive Disease of the Pelvis without intervention. He refused. I asked if he would do an ultrasound to see if my ovary still appeared to be fused to my rectum. He refused, saying that it would be insurance fraud. He said that I'd already been told I have Adhesive Disease of the Pelvis and that it does not go away without intervention and that any subsequent tests for it are insurance fraud because we know without looking that I still have it. I told him that I needed something to give the leave company, that my medical leave would run out in two days and that I hadn't been paid disability since January 1st. He said "I just met you. I'm not your doctor and you're not my patient." He even refused to take my office visit co-pay.
I took this news pretty hard. I cried until I fell asleep and slept in the car the whole way home. I felt like I was going to live in pain forever. I had no idea how to repair what my life has become.
I saw another doctor this past Thursday and I am cautiously optimistic. He said he would be willing to do surgery but needs to look over my medical records first. My medical records were what made the San Antonio doctor refuse care and are possibly what made the Houston doctor back out of doing surgery (with her, I don't suppose we will ever know the truth of what happened). So I realize that once my doctors all fax him my medical records he could change his mind. But he seemed willing to work with us, and I told him the gist of what the medical records would say.
He said he would tell the leave company that I need surgery in hopes that they will extend my unpaid medical leave or maybe even start paying disability again. But the leave company has already been told that, by two different doctors. So I am not expecting to be paid disability and I may lose my job protection at the end of my appeal.
If everything goes exactly right, if I have surgery and heal and am ok to return to work, we are still without child care assistance. I will be on the hook for $3000 a month until our case makes it through the six to twelve month waiting list and we have child care assistance again.
I look at the amount we need sometimes and feel like it is impossible. And maybe it is. But I don't want to give up yet. I love my job, it gave my kids and I a good life, a place to live and food to eat and sometimes money for extras. I don't want to leave it. And I can't work any job at all without child care. It is just not possible. My parents are all still working. Half of my grandparents have passed away and the other half live 300 miles away.
Thank you for your support so far, and please remember to share this message. Women are flocking to the Essure Problems Facebook group. Most of them have seen a doctor about their symptoms but were told it's not Essure. We have to get the message to them that they were right and there is help available.
I also received a call today from my physical therapist. My Houston surgeon had ordered more physical therapy before moving forward with surgery. I still don't know when my surgery will be.
Things are pretty worrisome and difficult right now. I wanted to have a happier update for you all, but this is where we are.
I'm so sorry and angry that you have to go through this. I pray that you will get relief and also that this company will be sued and the device taken off the market. There should be a class action suit. Has anything been attempted?
Jessica, I pray things will turn around soon. You have a beautiful family