OECWDC Church Building Fundraising
ABOUT OUR CHURCH:
The OECWDC is for many the major connection people have to their home country and its traditions,
language and culture. We are committed to sustaining these ties, especially for the younger generation. At
the same time, we are also committed to helping Oromo people integrate into American society.
Important as these purposes are; however, they are not a sufficient reason for being our congregation. We
need to get beyond our immediate needs to express our commitment to the global mission of the church,
including community service, world hunger and ministry through the Union of Oromo Evangelical Churches
(UOEC)and other bodies.
Although we have immediate responsibility to provide welcome and assistance to Oromo people who
continue to seek refuge from persecution, we are also part of a larger mission, one rooted in the Great
Commission to “Go into the world and make disciples of all nations’.
- Our mission is centered in the proclamation of the saving Gospel of Jesus Christ. We are committed
to spreading this good news throughout the community and the world so that all people might be
won to Christ.
- Our mission is to bring healing in a holistic sense, to soul and body, mind and spirit, to the spiritual
and material, to the church and the world. Our mission encompasses the individual and the
community, the global family and the natural environment.
- Our mission is to reach out to bring hope to the hopeless, bread to the hungry, medical care to those
in need, freedom for those who suffer unjustly in prison. Our mission is to offer a welcoming
community to all who are pushed aside. It is to speak God’s Word of judgement and grace to the
structures and practice of the injustice at home or abroad.
- Our mission is to be open to the gifts of the Spirit that others from different cultures and faiths have
to offer to us for our growth in understanding and for our own healing.
- Our mission is to support the young people of OECWDC as they face the challenges of life in
American society. We are committed to listening to their hopes and fears and walking with them on
- Our mission is to ensure that OECWDC is sustainable into the future through good stewardship of
the gifts that God has given to us. The good management of our finances and our organizational
structure will ensure a viable mission in areas of evangelical outreach and service.
ABOUT THIS CAMPAIGN:
The objective of this Church Building Fund Campaign is to build or purchase a church where Jesus Christ is
preached. In establishing a concrete position in the community, we will be able to serve more effectively.
Currently, we are serving our community and members in a rented church. There are times where we would
like to provide additional services to our members and community, but due to the limitation of the time we
currently leased, we haven’t been successful. We are reaching out to you to fulfil our calling by spreading
the Gospel of Jesus Christ and serve our community.
This project will be funded by two main sources: our internal building fund campaign (including tithes and
offerings), and external financing. We have initiated an ongoing building fund campaign that officially
started in August of 2015.
THE BENEFITS OF THIS PROJECT:
At the completion of this project, the church and community will benefit from the following, but not be
- Hear the Gospel of Jesus Christ in his/her own native language
- A sense of security to the community
- Family enrichment and the cultivation of healthy social living
- An increase in membership and giving
- The development of community jobs (i.e. daycare and summer camps)
- Class rooms for meetings and youth education
- Outdoor summer camps and activities for the youth
- Provide temporary housing for Oromo refugees
- A central location to provide food and clothing to the community
- Partnering with the local communities for supplemental programs (i.e. literacy, health screening,
community service, etc.)
We thank you, in advance, for your generosity. May the favor of the Lord be upon you and yours!
4401 16th St. NW Washington, DC 20011
*Make checks payable to:
Oromo Evangelical Church of Washington DC (OECDC)