Built in 1918 this is the last remaining archway leading into the Historical Youngstown Sheet and Tube Company Homes.
Of the three original archways, this was the main walkway into the homes facing what was once one of the main roads of the city.
After 99 years the archway has suffered a partial collapse of the structure and requires immediate repair if it is to remain standing.
The archway was home to many great stories over the years. Many first kisses among other things were the stories we have been told by visitors to the site that used to live in the complex.
It is a favorit stop for visitors tourists and photographers that have come to see the site and would be an epic loss if it were to collapse. Please help us save this monumental piece of American History and keep our archway intact.
The money will be used to purchase special bracing, concrete sealing material, paint, and to hire a local consultant in regards to how to do it, as well as provide for plywood and materials to put the tile rooftop back on. Any extra funding collected will go towards the restoration of the two apartments that border the archway.
More photos and info, as well as the completion of this project will happen within the next 30 days, as it is my goal to insure completion and dedication asap.
We have completed one half of the roof (there is still some minor work to do along the side to even out the tiles), and of course the caps still need applied, but this is a ... sneak peak at what the finished product will look like.
One great obstacle was funding. We initially were hoping to raise $2,000 but ended up with $920, which is Ok, the job is still getting done, but after gofundme got their cut, it left us with $839, $735 of which we have spent leaving us with $104 to complete the task.
These numbers did not include fuel for the generator, incidental expenses, and cost of materials transportation, which was all covered by us. It would have been nice to hire someone to build the actual trusses for the roof and complete a couple other necessary tasks, but it wasn't in the cards.
Today however we post the results of what has been done so far, and ... in my humble opinion, I think we are doing a great job.
First we will show photos to remind everyone as to just how ...... rough shape the tiles were in and the effort it took to bring them back to looking original. I have received messages .... demeaning my choice of tile restoration, but to this I say, chemical cleaning at this level would have required funding we did not have, and facilities and equipment we do not have access to. The choice was made based upon what we have at our disposal, and hopefully this project will inspire a new round of funding to properly restore the entire Robinson Rd. Row.
Photo #1 is a tile as it looked before we put it in the blaster. Keep in mind the dirt, and debris on the tile is what remained after being taken off the roof, stacked up in storage, moved into a vehicle, transported to the work site, and then moved into the shop. This is the dirt and debris that simply would not let go from handling the tiles.
Photo 2 is a tile after it is precleaned to go into the blast cabinet ..... just this step removed PILES of debris off the tiles .... and lastly, photo 3 is what they look like when they emerge from the cabinet.
Total restoration time per tile, including removal, transport, pre-cleaning, restoration, and replacement on the arch ...... about 25 minutes.
This is not counting the time it takes to change out the media in the blast cabinet as it becomes contaminated and unusable very quickly doing work of this type which is why it has taken so long to get the job done.
Coming next ..... one half of the finished product as side one of the archway is completed ...