22
22
3

Help The Mitchem Family

$1,030 of $2,000 goal

Raised by 16 people in 13 months
January 2018 Cari and James finally got the two pink lines they had hoped for. After struggling with some fertility they anxiously waited for every doctor appointment. At 10 weeks mom and dad to be decided to go with the NIPT blood test that test for chromosome abnormalities and also tells you the sex of the baby. Everyone waited anxiously to know what the sex was, but little did most people know there test had come back for an abnormality. The test had come back that there was a possibility the baby would have T21 which is down syndrome. As this did not change there minds they only told close friends and family until they knew more. Cari and James decided to go with an amnio not to make a decision for them, but so they could prepare there sons future as best as they could. The amnio came back and it was T21. Cari and James have had to drive several times a week to Norfolk for doctors appointments and soon learned that they baby also had a congenital heart defect. At that point she was being seen by EVMS and CHKD cardiologists so they could stay on top of baby Mitchem’s. Last Monday July 9, Cari and James celebrated there 2nd wedding anniversary. They had the day all planned out...  ultrasound on baby Mitchem and then off to Water Country with the two big brothers Hunter and Mason. That plan immediately changed when they saw something wrong on ultrasound. The placenta was not supply blood flow through the umbilical cord and it was actually traveling reverse. They admitted Cari into labor and delivery to monitor more and start steroids. By Wednesday July 11th there was no change in the dopplers and things were getting worse. The doctors quickly made the decision to take the baby two months early. At 4:39 July 11th Avery James Mitchem was born weighing 2 pounds 11 oz. He is currently in the NICU at CHKD. Cari and James are traveling every day from home to Norfolk to be with there baby boy along with being home with Hunter and Mason. Medical and travel expenses are soon going to pile up.  Let help this wonderful family! 

Thanks a loving friend,
Nicole31412324_1531874855962844_r.jpeg
+ Read More
Another update from momma....

What a long long day today. We have moved pods again so Avery could be in a little bit quieter space. He has had several drops in his heart rate and oxygen levels where he turns blue. James and I met with cardiology for over an hour. We got a lot of questions answered and we were open and honest with them about our second opinion from Boston. James and I talked to Boston today and got everything emailed to us they we need to do and they have been amazing at explaining the ins and outs of how things like this work. They repeated an echo about 2 hours ago to see if the pge was working. As of right now the pge was not working the way they want it to, they have room to up it, but by doing so it can cause more of the drops and he would then need to have the breathing tube placed. Averys nippv respiratory rate is set at 30 his respiratory rate is sitting around 30 to 38 which a lot of the time the machine is doing his breathing for him. Avery will need to have a shunt in his heart before they can do the full repair. He is too small right now for the shunt to work properly. Goal plan is to get him between 5 and 6 pounds. He is at 3 pounds 8 oz right now. That would be done at UVA and then if Boston gives us the answers we want from second opinion his full repair will be there. Avery is not his active self and he has a lot of swelling in his little toes and fingers which is all side effects of the pge. It can also cause him to be hotter. My heart has ached seeing him just lay there. He has not opened his eyes for me and is not grasping our finger like he did.. we ask that you please keep the prayers coming. Right now we need them more and more. We know the LORD will bring us through this, but this mommas heart is breaking. ❤
+ Read More
This is a post from Cari (Mom)

Update on our sweet boy this morning. He has had several drops through the night of stopping breathing and changing color. They have taken him off high flow oxygen and put him back on the nippv which is nasal ventilation. Since doing so he has had two more incidents. They have put the rate up to 30 and told us if this does not work they are going to have to intubate him. Parents are not allowed to stay the night in the NICU so having to leave last night killed us inside. We will be able to go back after shift change this morning. James and I will be meeting with several different people today. Hopefully they can give us clear answers as to their plan. I am also getting all the records we need to send to Boston. This is going to be a process, but someone has got to help him get better. Keep the prayers coming we need them so much. ❤ (this photo was from yesterday holding my sweet boy before the turn of events my heart was so full of love)
+ Read More
Read a Previous Update

$1,030 of $2,000 goal

Raised by 16 people in 13 months
Your share could be bringing in donations. Sign in to track your impact.
   Connect
We will never post without your permission.
In the future, we'll let you know if your sharing brings in any donations.
We weren't able to connect your Facebook account. Please try again later.
$100
Anonymous
7 months ago
$25
Tracy Curlee
12 months ago
KS
$200
Kyle Sears
12 months ago
$50
Heidi Damron
12 months ago
AD
$50
Anna Downing
12 months ago
LW
$100
Lou Ann Ward
12 months ago
$50
Samantha Ellis
12 months ago
LW
$50
Lisa Williams
12 months ago
$100
Mindy Deyarmin
12 months ago
EJ
$100
Edward Johnson
12 months ago
or
Use My Email Address
By continuing, you agree with the GoFundMe
terms and privacy policy
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account. Return to Campaign

Are you ready for the next step?
Even a $5 donation can help!
Donate Now Not now
Connect on Facebook to keep track of how many donations your share brings.
We will never post on Facebook without your permission.