Help support Tony and Harvey
News regarding Harvey
Immigration granted me a 30 day stay on my passport so I was able to accompany him to the hospital.
I'm afraid the news is rather dire.
He somehow got an infection in his lower leg (doctor thinks it's from the beach)
He was really quite fine when we left Bangkok It wasn't until mid-flight that he developed a fever and then threw up. Of course they wouldn't allow him to continue on the next leg of the trip. When we got here he noticed a bruise on his lower leg but couldn't remember banging it. The following day it started to get sore and swelled a bit but he said he was fine. Overnight it got really sore and swelled even more and he was restless all night long.
Today we went to clinic at the airport and they said he should be hospitalized immediately.
He is currently in ICU at the Landseed Hospital.
The doctor says he is in septic shock and his organs are failing. They've given him massive doses of antibiotics and are hoping that will work. If not we could be looking at surgical intervention which could mean losing his leg.
They've intubated him so he is unable to speak. He was fighting it the whole time so now he's heavily sedated. It was so heart wrenching to witness. I'm absolutely distraught but I'll just have to wait and see how it goes.
The doctor has told me to inform his family.
I'm staying at a nearby hotel called Hotel In.
Please keep your fingers crossed and your prayers would be appreciated.
I just got back from the hospital.
I talked with the doctor and he says Harvey has necrotizing fasciitis.
He is in critical condition. The doctor said he could be in for weeks or even a month or more.
He is on hemodialysis to remove the infections from his blood.They showed me his large open incisions on his leg. One on the inside leg is from the knee to the ankle.
Another one is on the outer leg and is about a foot long. He also has 2 incisions on the top of his foot. These are to drain the infection.
If this doesn't work they will have to amputate.
He is unconscious so there was not much I could say or do.I did contact the travel insurance and the hospital said they had called them as well.
I'm hoping that they can stabilize him and do a medi-vac back home.
His and my insurance ran out on Apr.10th because that's all we needed for this trip. What a nightmare. My credit cards will be maxed out soon and then I don't know what will happen.
It's very difficult for me accomplish anything here with the language barrier and there is no Canadian Embassy here to help.
I don't think he heard me but I told him we all loved him.
Kevin Simpson is the benificary of this Gofundme page, he will be managing the money, and seeing that tony and harvey recieves the funds as it comes in.
kevin is really good freinds with Tony and Harvey
they have been freinds for over 8 years.
Doctor was in today. Said Harvey is progressing well. He'll have to go back for more surgery to remove necrotic tissue on Tuesday. Still aiming for a return home on May 4th.
Doctor said Harvey should get up and about. We got him into a wheelchair and took him for a stroll. Bright sunny day so it was nice get out for some fresh air. Harvey tires easily so we didn't overdue it too much. The walk certainly lifted our spirits.
Another day spent sitting and waiting.
We were told repatriation doesn't just happen overnight.
It could be a few days at the least. We were expecting to see the doctor today but he was a no-show. Harvey's condition keeps improving .
Tomorrow is the weekend so there will probably nothing happening.
We found some English channels on tv so it helps break the boredom.
Hate sharing this room with another patient. Had to listen to him snore all night.
They did a debridement of his wounds.
I spoke with the doctor after surgery. He said it is still serious but he is in stable condition.
Harvey is pleading to go home and I am as well.
I believe to be repatriated you must be in stable condition and Harvey does fit the bill.
Will contact the powers that be and see what we can do.
We would like this horrible nightmare to end.
I don't know if we could take another week of this.
His lungs are sounding good and he's eating solid food now.
He's back to his old self.... joking with the nurses.Their English isn't that good
so I'm sure they don't quite understand him or think he's a little kooky.
I saw his doctor today.
They will take him for surgery tomorrow and close one of the incisions on his leg
and remove all the necrotic tissue.Rather than give him a general anesthetic , they will give him a spinal.
I feel that is all quite necessary but they seem to want
to do more and more after that keeping him for another week.One of the doctors did say it
was possible for him to be repatriated after surgery but would have to return on a stretcher and accompanied by a nurse.
I hope this happens. Harvey's birthday is on April 26th. I can't think of a better birthday present than a flight home.
The hired nurse has been a godsend.I was there for 12 hours today and I'm tired.I can't imagine having to stay there and try to sleep for the night.
Keep your prayers and positive energy coming for a hasty return home for Harvey.
As you know we were in almost the same place. Call the Canadian Trade office, I know they will try to help., they helped me quite a lot and I was very impressed. Speak to the nurses, they are your best helpers, we found that if we had questions they would do their best to find either someone who spoke English or would use goggle translate. I am thinking of you both and wishing the best for you.
any further updates??
Kelly here. Hugs and kisses to both of you. You are both dear to me. I've been through hell and I know Tony can to!! Let him know he owes me a kiss when back here. My thoughts and prayers are with you both. If I can get through it, he can too. Kisses to you both!!