Help with Heart Transplant Costs

$2,160 of $6,000 goal

Raised by 18 people in 4 months
Who I Am
Hello! My name is Brianna. I'm 38 years old, living in western North Carolina. I'm a recent recipient of a heart transplant, having spent more than a month in the hospital over the last two months, waiting for a heart match to become available.

I'm a daughter, a fiancé, a sister, and best friend. I'm also a full-time employee for a blogging service. Until the last year, I was making attempts at being a small business owner of Swoonish, a hand-dyed yarn and spinning fiber venture, before I had to put a hold on my efforts due to my health deteriorating.

Before I get to where I'm at now, let me tell you how things started.

Five Years Ago

In December of 2013, I was diagnosed with heart failure due to an unknown infection that was triggered and damaged my heart. I was originally diagnosed with the left ventricle only able to pump through 15% of the blood that was taken in. That ejection fraction rate was able to be raised to 25% through medication and I maintained that level for nearly all of the past five years.

I was made to believe by previous doctors that I would likely maintain my heart failure at 25%, with perhaps slight improvement, via medication for the rest of my life.

That wasn't to be the case.

August 2018
As of August 2018, my heart dropped to a functioning level of 10%, where I was then transferred from my local hospital to Wake Forest Baptist Health in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. It was there I learned I would require a special pump to be installed around my heart, with the idea that it would keep me alive and stable until a heart became available for transplant.

Upon learning that my blood type was AB+, however, which meant I was a universal recipient, the team of doctors and I decided that we would place me on an at-home IV and work towards transplant first. If I worsened before a heart became available, then the pump would be installed. A transplant would be ideal, as two open heart surgeries would be quite a lot to go through, but the wait time couldn't be predicted.

After a month of being home, I went into the hospital for what was supposed to be a routine check of my pulmonary pressures. It was found that my heart function had dropped again. I was immediately admitted into the hospital, where I was told I would be staying until a heart became available.

In the Hospital
There was little else to do in the hospital but wait. I was weak, exhausted from my heart function dropping so low. On top of that, I was sore due to not being able to move my neck with the Swan Ganz catheter being routed into a pulmonary artery, as seen in the above photo.

I spent my days in the hospital waiting for any word on a donor and possible heart match. Some time was spent visiting with friends and family who came to see me, and trying to make time pass quickly. I kept friends and family up to date on my condition and transplant status via Instagram and Facebook–anything to not have to think about what was coming, how long it would take, and how a transplant would affect both my full-time job and small business efforts.

It was on Instagram that I found unexpected support from the yarn-loving community I'm proud to be part of. Knitters, crocheters, weavers, and the like reached out to offer kind words, thoughts, and prayers. Previous heart transplant patients found me as well, and offered their experiences, cheerleading, and well wishes.

Please feel free to visit my Instagram account to read and witness my time at the hospital, as well as the support of those that made it a point to surround me with love, healing words, and offers of care packages and encouragement after my heart transplant surgery took place.

Where You Come In
As I mentioned, I am a full-time employee. The team I work for is amazing, and has rallied around me; I'm particularly blessed by having them in my life. I'm also fortunate that my employment grants me health insurance coverage that has taken care of the bulk of my medical bills–even if a mistake was made and I lapsed out of insurance coverage for almost two weeks. (That has since been corrected.)

Unfortunately, a high deductible and out-of-pocket expense has caused me to rack up considerable debt. I've had to max out credit cards, including my small business card, so that the bills I know of don't go into collections. I have no clue how many bills are to follow, as it seems new ones come in weekly, but I'm not counting those for now.

I've had to turn to short-term disability until doctors feel it's safe for me to return to work, and that affects regular day to day and monthly expenses (e.g. student loans, though I'm looking into whether that's something I can temporarily pause) as well.

The point of this Go Fund Me is to help pay off the medical bills I know of, and some of the accumulated debt. I particularly need to pay back what I accumulated against Swoonish so that when I can, I'll be able to afford to jump back into what I enjoy and want to build for my future.

What I Want to Do and What I Can Offer
I'm limited in what I can do right now. Recovery is a long road, even after the healing of my sternum and rehabilitation begins. I'll be at a high risk of rejection for at least a year, possibly longer, with a compromised immune system during that time.

What I'm capable of doing now is sharing my story, providing encouragement and support to others in their time of need,  and treating myself with kindness by giving my body the time it needs to heal and become stronger than it has been these last five years.

I'd like to be able to offer you something in return, and perhaps in the future I'll be able to come back and do just that. At the time of this writing, I can only offer my thanks. Thank you for thinking of me, for your thoughts and prayers, and for sharing this page if you feel so inclined to do so.

In time, it's my hope to get back to doing the things I enjoy, like traveling, spending time with people important to me, and working on building a business with courage, tongue-in-cheek humor, and all of the hard work that will be required of me (that I'll actually be physically capable of performing in the future).

And Now...
I've been left with a great amount of gratitude and humility from this experience. A new heart has granted me the possibility of more time with my family and friends (old and new), and that blows my mind. We're never guaranteed a long life, but this chance I have at more time with everyone, at more time to do and experience new things, is more than I could have realistically hoped for. I feel so fortunate and blessed.

With your support, be it via encouragement, donation, or simply sharing my story with others, I hope to have a very real chance to get out from beneath the debt of this experience so I can hit the ground running as soon as possible.

From this new heart of mine to yours, thank you.
+ Read More
Biopsy days are exhausting and expensive
+ Read More
One of the things that helped me process and remain as grounded as possible during the time in the hospital, both pre- and post-transplant, was knitting. I had my fiancé bring me a project bag that I knew had yarn and needles for a specific project, and then friends stopped by with more yarn goodness.

There's something to be said for the meditative state that the simple act of moving loops of yarn through each other. It helped when I was anxious, when I was overthinking, and when feeling new highs and lows of what felt like all the emotions.

It continues to help in the quiet moments when I'm left with nothing but my brain and all it wants to focus on are the incoming bills, the new year of deductibles and out-of-pocket costs, and frequent 1R rejection of biopsy samples. It's not uncommon and is likely just white blood cells cleaning things up while the heart and surrounding tissue are a little inflamed from trying to settle down and in.

Wanted to drop in and give an update on where I'm at. Still, a long way to go from paying things off, and I'm trying not to crumple under the growing debt while attempting to work out new plans for housing since the last plans have fallen through.

When it rains, it pours?
+ Read More
Thankfully, insurance admitted their mistake and it looks like they’ll be covering the admission and transplant. One massive stressor less to worry myself over.

Still lots left to pay on (every dollar donated so far has helped ease the burden of those medical bills, thank you), and I start back to work soon in the new year. Cardiac rehab starts soon as well, though I’m not entirely certain what to expect there.

I hope each of you had a lovely holiday season and wish you a pleasant year to come.
+ Read More
Insurance is currently denying my hospital admission and stay while I had the transplant, as well as my anti-rejection medicines. Working with my coordinators at the hospital to try and appeal the insurance company’s decision.
+ Read More
Read a Previous Update

$2,160 of $6,000 goal

Raised by 18 people in 4 months
Your share could be bringing in donations. Sign in to track your impact.
We will never post without your permission.
In the future, we'll let you know if your sharing brings in any donations.
We weren't able to connect your Facebook account. Please try again later.
6 days ago
Sarah Hoffman
2 months ago
3 months ago
Michelle Nilsen
3 months ago
Omar Williams
3 months ago
Kymberlie McGuire
4 months ago
4 months ago
Robbin Koenig
4 months ago
Josi Madera
4 months ago
Jenny Baxter
4 months ago
Use My Email Address
By continuing, you agree with the GoFundMe
terms and privacy policy
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account. Return to Campaign

Are you ready for the next step?
Even a $5 donation can help!
Donate Now Not now
Connect on Facebook to keep track of how many donations your share brings.
We will never post on Facebook without your permission.