Rally Cry

$128,229 of $100,000 goal

Raised by 4,793 people in 7 months
Created September 26, 2018
Pink Patrol
on behalf of Andy Heyrman
Nicole (Hansen) Heyrman is facing a battle for her life afterdiscovering 5 brain tumors and having spinal canal fluid test positive for breast cancer cells from her stage 4 metastatic breast cancer.

She is a loving wife, mother, sister, daughter, friend and I know her loving community of family and friends will continue to support her in every way possible.

Our community is large and mighty! When one of us is in need, we rally!

Nicole’s rally started a few weeks ago, when we decided to show our love and support by lighting the neighborhood up in pink to welcome her home from the hospital after some devastating news. 

Here’s the link to the Fox News story about lighting the neighborhood up pink!

It continued with a neighborhood party to help Nicole and Andy celebrate an upcoming birthday party for their 5-year old daughter. We celebrated with her and their other children, ages 3 years and 7months. 

We recently learned Nicole may have hope for extending her time with us... she’s heading to MD Anderson in Houston to learn about additional treatment options and see if she qualifies for a clinical trial.  

All funds received from this fundraiser will be used to help offset expenses in Nicole’s cancer treatments, Baby George’s medical care, and alleviate financial stresses on the Heyrman family. No donation is too small and all donations are greatly appreciated.

Below read Nicole’s journey, as told by her husband Andy:

A Young Mother’s Fight with Stage 4 Breast Cancer: Nicole Heyrman’s Story


While pregnant with our third child Nicole noticed a lump in her right breast pretty early on in her
pregnancy. Nicole brought this to the attention of her midwife at her next appointment and a
breast ultrasound was recommended. Nicole underwent an ultrasound, mammogram and
biopsy on October 6, 2017, 4 days after her 34th birthday. Our surgeon felt pretty confident it
was not anything to worry about, likely a benign mass that we would just need to keep an eye
on and maybe even remove after she was done breastfeeding, but still felt a biopsy was needed
to confirm this and give us some peace of mind. However, on October 13th, 2017, in the 15th
week of her pregnancy, our surgeon’s team called with the devastating news – the biopsy
results showed both extensive invasive lobular carcinoma and ductal carcinoma in situ breast

The next week was a blur between doctor appointments, surgery to install a portacath and multiple scans and imaging in order to gain a better understanding of the presence of disease in her body and the best way to fight it. Although breast cancer is becoming much too common for the general population (1 in 8 women will be diagnosed in the US alone) it is still quite rare among pregnant women. Initial staging put Nicole at Stage 2B, with the understanding that final staging could be completed once the baby was born. There are treatment options available to women during the second trimester and six days after the diagnosis Nicole started chemotherapy. The plan was to receive two chemotherapy drugs, Adriamycin & Cyclophosphamide (AC), every three weeks for four treatments. This would be followed by a single mastectomy with axillary dissection and then an early delivery. Post-delivery treatment would include 12 weekly doses of chemotherapy, removal of the remaining left breast, initiating the reconstruction process and then six to seven weeks of daily radiation.
After her first treatment of AC the tumor had shrunk by approximately 60% - yay success!!! Unfortunately, this feeling of success was short lived as during our planning visit with our radiation oncologist a few days after receiving the second round of AC it appeared as though the tumor had increased back to its original size.

After a busy few days of appointments full of additional scans and tests we decided to alter the treatment plan and move the surgery up rather than give Nicole the third treatment of AC. On December 8th Nicole underwent a successful single mastectomy surgery and axillary dissection. We now just had to wait for the pathology results and were praying that the cancer stayed local and did not spread to her lymph nodes. Initial observations from our surgeon were positive as Nicole’s lymph nodes appeared slightly firm (common during pregnancy) but otherwise looked normal.

A week later our surgeon called with the pathology results – unfortunately there was some bad news along with our good news. Good news, the margins between the tumor and the edge of her breast tissue were clear, meaning there was no evidence of residual disease in the right chest area. Bad news, all 11 lymph nodes removed at the time of surgery contained active breast cancer cells. This new information, the lymph node involvement and the confirmed tumor size, lead to the escalation of Nicole’s breast cancer to Stage 3C.
During Nicole’s recovery from surgery there was a lot of discussion regarding next steps. After many more appointments and multiple second opinions from across the Midwest, we decided to finish the final two doses of AC since the lymph nodes showed signs the chemotherapy was working and then deliver the baby via C-section four weeks after the last AC treatment. We also decided to remove Nicole’s ovaries and fallopian tubes during the C-section procedure in an effort to remove the majority of hormone production in Nicole’s body, since her type of cancer feeds off of the hormones. Fortunately, this time period was relatively uneventful, Nicole handled the chemo drugs with minimal side effects and ultrasounds continued to show normal progression for the baby.

On February 19th, 34 weeks into the pregnancy, we were blessed with a healthy baby boy! George Thomas Heyrman weighed in at 5 pounds 8 ounces, which is quite a feat for an early baby. Another successful surgery with just a few complications that were easily handled by Nicole – not too bad (easy for me to say!). George was doing so well that the Neonatologist felt he could stay in the elevated risk area at the hospital’s nursery rather than going to the NICU. A week after delivery baby George was already home and Nicole was looking forward to her new chemotherapy treatment.

Eight days after her C-section Nicole started her new weekly chemotherapy regimen with a drug called Paclitaxel (brand name is Taxol). The night of her very first treatment with this drug Nicole came down with a fever and the chills and as the night progressed it was clear she really wasn’t feeling well. Her temperature was all over the place, it would go from mid-90’s to the mid to low 100’s and back. The next morning, we immediately got her in to see the doctor and after some testing and observation it was determined Nicole had sepsis (a bacterial infection in the blood that shuts down your organs). She soon checked into the hospital for additional treatment and monitoring. Unfortunately, we were kicked when we were already down, and while Nicole was in the hospital recovering from Sepsis we received the pathology results from the removal of her ovaries and fallopian tube – both ovaries contained active breast cancer cells. This was terrible news and our worst fear, as well all knew what the spreading of cancer to a distant site meant – Stage 4 breast cancer that is considered incurable and according to current statistics had a survival rate of 22% living after 5 years.

As it sits today, we are six treatments into the 12-week Taxol therapy and Nicole has been amazingly strong and continues to kick ass. She has suffered some of the more minor and manageable side effects of this drug and her blood counts have remained high enough to continue treatment each week.

George is now 8 weeks old and is a happy baby, growing and eating at all hours of the day and night. Our two oldest children, Harper (age 4) and Henry (age 2), are also managing pretty well. They understand mommy is “big sick” and know to be a bit more careful. But by and large we work hard to keep things as normal as possible for them. In addition to Nicole’s weekly treatment appointments we are in the process of getting second opinions from multiple cancer centers and research universities throughout the U.S. We have been told that our treatment plan up to this point has been the current standard of care but the reality of Stage 4 today is still very scary. We hold onto the fact that Nicole’s particular case is very unique from the traditional Stage 4 patient, since the site of distant disease showed only microscopic cells and has since been surgically removed, and with the advancement of medicine along with our continued understanding of cancer we continue to believe that we can and will beat this disease and diagnosis. There are many miraculous stories of women living with Stage 4 breast cancer five, ten and even 20 years down the line and pray that we also find long term remission.

Update 9/7/18
Nicole continued to kick ass and completed her 12 weeks of Taxol in early spring, she suffered some of the more minor and manageable side effects of this drug and her blood counts remained high enough to continue treatment each week. In June we performed a full body scan which came back showing no evidence of disease (yah the first one now only a few hundred to go).

After a small break Nicole started and completed six weeks of localized radiation therapy on her chest and armpit, just like the other treatments she kicked ass and suffered minor (in the textbook only) side effects.

George is now 7 months old, still a happy and healthy baby, he continues to grow and eats all hours of the day and night. Our two oldest children, Harper (turning 5 soon) and Henry (age 3), are also managing pretty well. They understand mommy is “big sick” and continue to be a bit more careful. But by and large we still work really hard to keep things as normal as possible for them.

Update 9/15/18
After suffering what we thought were tension headaches (they were bands of pain across the front that came and went) for a week we took Nicole to the ER late last Sunday and to our surprise we found a problem. The spiral CT scan showed a few growths. After checking into the hospital Nicole underwent an MRI with contrast. Upon review they identified 5 tumors with one located in her brain stem (this was the tumor blocking drainage and the cause of her headaches). With the tumor being located in an un-operable brain stem location our neurosurgeon told us it was not recommended to perform surgery to remove the remaining tumors.

To release the pressure, we performed emergency brain surgery Monday night to install a temporary stint. During surgery we also removed spinal canal fluid to have pathology test for breast cancer cells. On Tuesday morning the CT scan showed the stint worked and both sides of her brain drained properly so we scheduled surgery for 5:00pm on Tuesday to install the permanent drain. Yes, that’s right this badass woman had another brain surgery less than 24 hours after her first.

Wednesday morning, we unfortunately received bad news. The CT scan showed one side of her brain did not drain properly and we needed another brain surgery to install a second stint. We believe the tumor grew and closed the normal connection Tuesday night which only allowed one side to drain. The other terrible news we received was the spinal canal fluid test came back positive for breast cancer cells, (one of the worst things that can occur when fighting any kind of cancer). So, what did my amazing wife and mother of three children do, why of course she had her third brain surgery in three days (The dictionary does not contain the words to describe Nicole’s strength and courage). Thursday morning brought better news as the CT scan showed both stints were working properly and the fluid was no longer building up in her brain

After discussing treatment options with our medical team, we decided to perform 10 rounds of whole brain radiation. (Nicole completed her first therapy two days after her third brain surgery this week, the trend your sensing is correct, my wife is a badass). Once completed we will rescan and possibly perform more targeted radiation if possible or we will explore our chemotherapy options. Since the cancer cells broke through the blood barrier we do have not many chemo options available.

Frankly the prognosis is terrible. Our doctors told us time is short, we’ve been told Nicole is unlikely to live until Christmas. If she does not respond to the therapies her time may be much shorter. I find these words hard to say and even harder to type.

On Thursday we made the difficult decision to tell our oldest children Harper (6 days away from turning 5) and Henry (3) their mother may die soon. Our hope in doing this is to continue discussing with them and lay the foundation for healing by talking with Mom and Dad about where Mom may be going and how they can continue to talk with her. Just likes words cannot describe Nicole’s strength and courage through her battle, I’m unable to describe how hard it was to tell and now answer their questions since they’ve had a couple days to process the news. I believe this will help them as Nicole and I can answer together and let them know they will never be alone but it breaks our hearts.

We are still in the process of getting second opinions from multiple cancer centers and research universities throughout the U.S. We refuse to give in or give up as Nicole is way too special.
Thank You,

Andy Heyrman
+ Read More
Here is an update on our neighbor Nicole ❤️ Please continue to pray hard


An update on Nicole:

Nicole successfully completed targeted radiation on her brain stem and mid-brain tumors on March 14th. Considering where we were with disease progression she was in great shape. She was able to move around with some minor pain in her left hip and able to have some broken conversation(s). She was having a hard time saying what she was thinking. If given a piece of paper or a phone she could write/type it.
After a few days of dealing with her left hip pain we decided to identify the cause with a CT scan of her body from the neck down. The source of the pain was confirmed to be a tumor in her hip bone unfortunately the scan also showed additional tumors in her lungs, liver, and other bone locations. It was at this appointment, we made the difficult decision to stop pursuing medical and radiation oncology treatment(s) and sign-up for hospice care on March 23rd.

Since we’ve been in hospice Nicole’s condition has continued to deteriorate. She’s been sleeping more and moving around less. Last Friday morning she had a seizure and has been bedridden ever since. She’s constantly on a pain killer (not morphine yet, although we are ready) and rests/sleeps most of the day. We do have some positive moments throughout the day in that she is able to say “Hi” to the kids and smile at them when they give her hugs.

Each day since the seizure Nicole has been able to recover a little more (yesterday she was able to help select the outfits for each kid for the rest of the week (something I really appreciate)). We do not believe she will regain the same level of movement she had pre-seizure however we are so thankful she’s able to still participate in some parts of the day.

Thank you for your continued prayers, thoughts and support.
With love,
The Heyrman’s
+ Read More
An update on Nicole:

We’ve completed a few recent MRI’s (the last one on February 28th) and unfortunately, they show several new tumors. We started a new targeted radiation plan on Friday the 1st with the hope of delaying the progress of the largest tumors. We’re not sure if it will make a difference on how much time Nicole has left. The main purpose at this point is to delay the onset of pain. Our current plan is 5 treatments over two and a half weeks. If we make it to the end of the fifth treatment, we will discuss available options at that time.
Thank you for your continued prayers, thoughts and support.
With love,
The Heyrman’s
+ Read More
Here are the last two updates.

I'm working on another one right now. I'm waiting for Nicole to decide if we're going to stop treatments.

Thank you,


An update on Nicole:
The last few weeks have been pretty good, Nicole was able to live a normal life and spend a lot of time with family and friends.

Unfortunately, over the weekend her speech became delayed and she started to have a little pain in her head. Hoping it was lack of fluids and too much fun from our weekend trip to Chicago to celebrate Liz's birthday she rehydrated and went to bed early Sunday night. On Monday we went to the cancer center for fluids. Fearing something else we scheduled a brain MRI.

The results showed a negative change (not sure if it's a new tumor growth or if it's another CSF infection similar to the one from November). We checked her into the hospital Monday afternoonand this morning we removed her Ommaya reservoir from the left side of her head.

Right now, Nicole is recovering from surgery and we're waiting for pathology to see if a culture grows from the hardware or from the fluid we removed indicating an infection.

As you know Nicole has beaten the odds a few times so far and we're so fortunate she's been able to spend the last four relatively "normal" months with us. Next steps are currently tbd but will certainly consist of multiple tough decisions.

Thank you for your continued prayers, thoughts and support.
With love,
The Heyrman's


An update on Nicole:

We are still waiting to identify what is happening in her left frontal lobe. The CSF sample and Ommaya reservoir did not grow/identify an infection.
There are a few things it could be, a new tumor or a reaction to the chemo we injected into the Ommaya reservoir are the two most likely. So far Nicole has responded well with daily steroids used to reduce the inflammation. We're hoping the brain MRI and full body imaging next week provide clarity.
Like everything in this battle, we were faced with a challenging decision at the beginning of February regarding our upcoming trip (I know fun). When the brain MRI showed a negative change in Nicole's left frontal lobe and growth in the brain stem tumor, we needed to perform the above-mentioned emergency surgery to remove the Ommaya reservoir and start targeted high dose radiation. Since we were unable to identify what was happening in her front lobe and the radiation plan was going to take two and a half weeks (we do not want the tumor in her brain stem to swell). We needed to weigh our options and consider the risks.
This trip originally started out as a couples get away. We booked it in July after Nicole completed radiation and the timing was perfect since Nicole needed to wait at least six months before she could start the long and painful reconstruction process.
We agreed a trip to paradise was the perfect way to catch our breath and relax. After a few weeks of excitement, we decided to bring our kids (I know it's a strange parent thing we have a chance to get away and we decide to bring them with us). Once this happened Grandparents and Aunties were also invited. When September happened, this trip took a sad turn. It went from a relaxing get away to a celebration of life and at many points during the last few months we did not know if this trip would even be possible.
To be this close after all we've been through the thought of not going was hard to process. In order to help us with our decision we tried to identify some milestones or indicators which would provide some level of comfort with our decision. We reimaged her brain to see if anything thing changed, positive or negative. The scan was identically to the one we performed the day before surgery, so it was disappointing nothing improved however it did not progress in a negative way. The steroids were also working and as each day passed Nicole's personality was coming back (everything the left frontal lobe controls was affected by the swelling).
It was during these conversations Nicole's passion and desire to live life never wavered. She made her desire to go clear from the beginning. With the available medical data showing no negative progression we decided to go.
Do to some of the risks Nicole faced we switched her to a non-stop flight. This was very stressful to everyone else on the second flight since we did not know until our stop in Seattle if Nicole successful completed the trip to Hawaii. Thankfully the text came in saying she landed safety and everyone in our party cheered.
The trip was a huge success, we were able to get some important family time and we meet some amazing people who will be in our lives for a long time.

More to come next week after our scans.

Thank you for your continued prayers, thoughts and support.
With love,
The Heyrman's
+ Read More
We meet people along the way, on this road we call life. Some we will never forget, like each and every one of you who has donated. Here is the story of how Jenna and the Heyrmans crossed, and then walked down the same path together.

Never underestimate the power of ONE.

My name is Jenna Kutcher, I’m basically a stanger on the internet. I’ve never met Nicole, never been graced with her dimples or smiles in person, I’ve never hugged her children, but I love her.

On February 6th, my husband’s birthday, a stranger on the internet slid into my messages asking for help. She told me Nicole’s story, well, as much as could fit in a direct message on Instagram and asked a simple request for connections in Hawaii since we live here part time.

I quickly messaged a friend on Oahu to see if she could help document Nicole and her family on their trip to Hawaii and she contacted more people and we started a chain reaction that helped create beautiful memories for their family to cherish for decades to come.

We could have stopped there…. No, wait, no we couldn’t have.
There was no way I was stopping there, not for Nicole….
because hearing Nicole’s story shook me to my core.
It could be me. It could be you. It could be any of us.

As a mom to a brand new baby, I found myself holding her tighter. I started thinking about legacy, what mine would be. I imagined my husband becoming a solo parent. I thought about fighting for my life the way Nicole has been.

I spent a few days on my knees asking for a miracle…. and in many ways we got one. Most people know me as “that girl on Instagram.” Over the last eight years I’ve grown a following of over a million followers across the platforms from sharing my life, my heart, my business, and my story. I’ve attempted to weave my legacy and heart into every post and through the years my following has grown not just with followers but with incredible humans who are on this journey through life with me.

I knew I wanted to share Nicole’s story but I kept putting it off – mostly because I knew I couldn’t talk about her without crying. And so I sucked it up and I accepted the fact that I would cry on the internet for a woman I’ve never meant because she matters. This woman, this fighter, touched me deeply as a stranger.

On Sunday, I shared her story, I asked my followers to rally, I posted the link to this page as a place for others to help someone in need…. and boy did they rally, help, and share. In less than 48 hours, strangers from all over the world heard about Nicole, opened their wallets, and got on their knees for this remarkable woman. Her story spanned generations, oceans, and touched lives all over the world.

At this moment in time we’ve raised almost $85,000 in two days and the number continues to climb by the minute. With tears in my eyes, I’m watching people donate what they can, watching $5 donations amount to thousands, seeing strangers rooting for strangers, and remembering the power of ONE.

One dollar, one message, one follower, one prayer, one woman, one mission, one hope… it has all added up, this story is proof that the power of one exists.

Before anyone thanks me, I want to say this: I am just a girl sharing the things I wish people would share. What good is a platform if you don’t use it for good? This isnt’ a reflection of ME but the people who God has brought into my life and man, can I just say that I am proud of this community? I am thankful for the Internet, for the good in people, and for the power of Nicole and her story.

I don’t know Nicole and Andy, but I know they are deserving, I know they will use it well, and I know they will pay it forward every chance they get. I know that Nicole is more than this sickness, I know that she is more than the cancer, I know that, like me, she had hopes and dreams and a vision for her life before all of this happened and I hope that today she sees these miracles by the minute and gains hope and strength in her fight.

I am just the messenger, delivering a message that the world needed.
And I am thankful people responded, supported, and joined this movement.

Today, I am so so thankful for this platform God has given me and the chance to use it to do good in the world. I hope I get to meet Nicole in real life, to give her a hug, and to celebrate her, because she has touched thousands of lives with her story and now she has thousands of prayer warriors praying on her behalf. I may have never met her, but I love her and will do whatever I can for her.

Never, ever underestimate the power of one. the Heyrmans connected.
+ Read More
Read a Previous Update

$128,229 of $100,000 goal

Raised by 4,793 people in 7 months
Created September 26, 2018
Pink Patrol
on behalf of Andy Heyrman
Your share could be bringing in donations. Sign in to track your impact.
We will never post without your permission.
In the future, we'll let you know if your sharing brings in any donations.
We weren't able to connect your Facebook account. Please try again later.
Cassandra Picazo
15 days ago
25 days ago
Justin Hoerth
28 days ago
Maddie Bromann Gumm
1 month ago
1 month ago
1 month ago
Lindsay Sword
1 month ago
Nicks Brown
1 month ago
Megan Lehto
1 month ago
Emily G
1 month ago
Use My Email Address
By continuing, you agree with the GoFundMe
terms and privacy policy
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account. Return to Campaign

Are you ready for the next step?
Even a $5 donation can help!
Donate Now Not now
Connect on Facebook to keep track of how many donations your share brings.
We will never post on Facebook without your permission.