Help Riley walk again ❤️

Hey y’all! So I can’t believe I’m doing this but we’re really stuck right now. As most of you know, Riley was our first dog together and she just turned 3 this past August. Last Tuesday, we noticed we were having to pick her up to put her on the bed and the couch because she wasn’t able to jump. We decided just to monitor her for a few days because we have 2 other dogs and figured they might have just played a little rough.


Fast forward to Sunday and Riley is shaking out of control as if she’s in a lot of pain. So we decided to take her to the emergency vet Sunday night and they did a quick exam and said that it seems she has back issues but we should be fine to take her into our normal vet tomorrow because it doesn’t seem at the moment that Riley was an emergency. Monday morning I take Riley to the vet and they told me she had a spinal nerve that was pinched and with the help of the medicine they sent us home with she should be fine. Well, unfortunately Tuesday was when things started to go down hill. I got home on my lunch break and Riley was no longer able to walk on her back legs at all and she was completely dragging herself. Of course I instantly put her in the car and rush her to our local vet. They then tell me she believes Riley is at stage 3 paralysis and she needs an MRI to see how far a long and an actual diagnosis. Of course at this point Riley is now considered an emergency. Our vet tried to refer us to NC state, however they were at capacity so our vet referred us to CARE which is an animal hospital up in Charlotte and they will now be taking over Riley’s care.

My husband and I drove up to Charlotte last night (Tuesday) so Riley could be seen. She was seen by a vet and she could confirm the stage 3 paralysis in Riley’s back legs. However, the neurologist team isn’t there over night so we are taking her back in the morning to be seen by the neurologist team. As what the vet told us last night tomorrow we should be expecting the neurology team to take an MRI and if they can confirm Riley’s diagnosis they will want to take her straight into surgery. They can’t give us an exact price but the vet quoted me from anywhere too $4,500 - $6,500 for the MRI, surgery and Riley’s hospital stay after the surgery and everything has to be paid up front. The vet said Riley’s chances for improving after surgery are 75-85%. I promise to update this post as we receive more information. 

Anyone who knows me knows how much I love my dogs, especially my Riley girl. This has been so hard on us and we’re asking our friends and family for a little help. Please help our girl! Even if you can’t donate, please consider sharing with your friends ❤️


Thank y’all for taking the time to read our story 

Donations

 See top
  • Robert Brady 
    • $25 
    • 21 d
  • Jaci Heffner 
    • $25 
    • 22 d
  • Jessica Blizzard 
    • $20 
    • 22 d
  • Ali Krause 
    • $50 
    • 23 d
  • Jimi Schmitz 
    • $25 
    • 23 d
See all

Organizer

Samantha Clark 
Organizer
Wilmington, NC
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more