On October 13, 2015 the Belmont Skatepark was removed as the property was sold for redevelopment. This left the five communities that make up the Westshore without a skatepark. Leaving a void in unstructured recreation opportunities for children, youth and families. Currently, the community that used the skatepark have nowhere in the Westshore to safely practice their sport.Skateboarders need skateparks just like soccer players need fields. Skateparks play an important role in providing safe places to skate. If a municipality doesn’t have a skatepark, it IS a skatepark.
The Coalition has spent the last 3 years working with the community and a have secured space with West Shore Parks & Recreation. Together the two organizations have offered public consultations which have resulted in a design that reflects the needs and wants of the Westshore community and user groups.
A new Skatepark will create opportunities for our children youth, and families to participate in unstructured play and engage in activities that promote social connectedness, physical activity and health and wellness. It has been demonstrated that:
1) Skatebording is a good cardiovascular workout, builds muscle strength and confidence, and comes with a community that provides encouragement.
2) Skateboarding combines extreme physical exertion with precise muscle coordination and balance. The complexity of performing tricks on a skateboard improves brain function
3) Skateboarding has been shown to improve academic performance and reduce anxiety
4) Skateboarding provides an identity, a social group, and a creative outlet. Skateboarding can build bridges between generations and different social backgrounds, ultimately connecting people with each other and their community.
5) Skateparks provide safe places to skate. The most common injuries are falls due to surface irregularities and collisions with motor vehicles or pedestrians.Westshore Skatepark Coalition
Through strong partnerships and leadership, the Westshore Skatepark Coalition fosters and supports the growth of skateboarding on the Westshore. Providing access to free world-class facilities where skatepark users can participate safely, develop their skills and enjoy skate-related events.