My name is Tyler Batson. I am one part of a dedicated team of peace-builders in Africa's largest slum, Kibera, in Kenya's capital city of Nairobi. Our goal: stop the cycle of election violence — for the SECOND time!
In 2017, our international team of determined friends successfully stopped the long-standing cycle of politically instigated violence in a slum of ~1,000,000 people. This year, we’re out to expand our peace-building model with new ways to make direct, sustainable impact on Kenya and after that, the world! But with a new presidential election come new threats of violence, so before we can expand to other countries, we need to recruit more peace leaders for our flagship program in Kibera.
THE GOOD NEWS: In 2017, we directly activated 2,500 peace leaders, including local youth, rival gangs and known criminals. Today, they are all ready to step up and join our peace efforts.
THE OPPORTUNITY: With more support than we had in 2017, we’re expanding from one impact engine to THREE. But we don't have much time. Election Day is August 9th, 2022! Luckily, we have proven success and a clear plan of action. (See below).
TO REACH OUR GOAL ON TIME: Raise $125/day. We can do it!
HOW WE'LL USE YOUR DONATIONS
Donations will be reinvested into the local Kibera Slum economy, creating peace while simultaneously providing an income for families and individuals. View full breakdown here
- $2,230 = Total cost to launch 5 public Peace Forums. (How we brought peace in 2017!)
- $1,003 = Total cost to launch Peace Soccer Tournament (for rival gangs)
- $500 = Money wiring fees, GoFundMe processing fees, plus a stipend for mobilization team
- $330 = 1 peace forum
- $200 = 1 soccer match in peace tournament
- $173 = Total cost to launch Peace Messaging campaign (painting and posting messages of peace in community)
- $120 = Lunch for group of 200
- $100 = Sound system, facilitators, and venue for peace forum
- $60 = 1 banner to promote events
- $28 = 1 gallon of paint to paint long-lasting messages of peace through community
- $20 = 1 soccer ball (usable long after election day so that gangs can build on their camaraderie).
GRAND TOTAL TO STOP THE VIOLENCE:
DONATIONS OVER OUR GOAL GO TOWARD:
- New peace programs and gang intervention
- Funding for the next election cycle so we recruit even more peace leaders.
- Expanding our peace efforts into Kenya’s rural areas and, eventually, into other countries that need peace.
On behalf of our mobilization team in Kibera, thank you all so much from the bottom of our faithful hearts. Your contribution makes you part of our dedicated peace family. Welcome to the team!
With love and gratitude,