As many of you are aware, I attend at Fearman's Pork Inc and St Helen's Meat Packers LTD once or twice per week to bear witness to the pigs and cows, respectively, who are slaughtered there each day.
Canada's regulations for transporting farmed animals are egregious. And although this limit varies by a non-human animals' classification in the industry, pigs and cows may be transported in any climate for 36 hours before there is any requirement to provide them with food, water, or rest. (Note that given the lack of enforcement of these transport regulations, it is reasonable to suspect that these animals might in fact go much longer without any of the above).
In the summer heat, animals arrive screaming, shaking, vomiting, foaming at the mouth, gasping for air, and often times already dead.
The main objectives of these vigils are to raise awareness about the horrors of animal agriculture and, above all, provided a moment of compassion and some water to pigs and cows in the moments before they reach the kill floor. For these animals, this will be the first and last compassionate act they have ever experienced in their lives.
This work is very important to me. And, as you can imagine, it requires some equipment.
Because I have invested significant personal funds in my various animal liberation and animal activism endeavours, and because the COVID-19 pandemic has left me unemployed for several months now and for an undetermined number of months still to come, I am requesting your assistance in pulling this particular purchase off.
My goal for this fundraiser is to be able to purchase:
* one of these (for reaching animals deeper inside the trucks or on upper levels): https://www.amazon.ca/Chapin-61900-Commercial-Backpack-4-Gallon/dp/B001FA09S2?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1
* and at least two of these: https://www.amazon.ca/Igloo-42316-Beverage-Spigot-5-Gallon/dp/B000FDXEN2/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgJv4BRCrARIsAB17JI6SQlXIMO35EnY5q_hKIhG6lqhXVRYNioi0JuQtJ5K_7qSY8CcpUiQaAjITEALw_wcB&hvadid=230011420750&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9000779&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=1922339519082785842&hvtargid=kwd-295416361856&hydadcr=3158_10309536&keywords=insulated+water+jug&qid=1594316840&sr=8-14&tag=googcana-20
Please note the following:
1. Although the vigils I attend are hosted by Pig Save Toronto, Cow Save Toronto, and New Wave Activism, I make this request completely independently of these groups. And although I encourage you to support them if you can, none of these groups have asked me to raise these funds or are involved in the raising of these funds in any way.
2. I will be purchasing these items personally and retaining possession of them, so that I can ensure that they arrive full of water at every event I attend. They will be strictly for use at these vigils and not for personal use, but practical considerations require that I retain personal ownership of them instead of donating them to any of these organizations. (Otherwise, they could only be used by the organization to which I donate them. I want them to be usable by ALL of these organizations).
3. It is possible that I end up unable to purchase these exam models of these exact items. Please be aware that this fundraiser may therefore culminate in a slightly different purchase than the one I am "advertising" (for lack of a better word) here. But the links above reflect my target price points.
4. If your generosity exceeds my expectations and I therefore exceed my dollar goal, I will use every additional dollar to purchase more of these items for helping these animals.
5. I will personally cover the additional cost of "rounding up" (to at least the next possible unit) the amount of equipment the proceeds of this fundraiser allow me to purchase.
Thank you all very much for your love and support in this endeavour. This work is what drives me, and I truly appreciate being able to make greater contributions to these movements with your generous support.
- Cindy Hatcher
- Alexia Armato
- Norma Elgersma
- Justine Lucas