We, the Fort Erie Lakeshore Neighbourhood Association (FELNA),
need funding for legal fees.
The Town of Fort Erie (TOFE) has made illegal and inappropriate bylaw changes that need to be reversed...
Maybe these changes were 'accidental' in that the City Planning department 'missed' the applicable portions of the TOFE Official Plan and the Provincial Policy Statement.
The Mayor has told us that we need to use legal means to reverse the inappropriate and illegal bylaws.
Municipal Lawyers have told us to:
1. Make the issue public knowledge (make it 'political')
2. Hire appropriate experts.
A Municipal Lawyer
An Traffic Engineer
A Fort Erie Historian
A City Planner
An Endangered Species Expert
3. Get the information out into the public domain
5. Start a petition
4. Talk to our ward councilor (Kimberley Zanko)
6. Present the petition and full details of the TOFE miss-steps to a public council meeting.
7. If the Council doesn’t take steps to get legal (preferably reversing or retracting the illegal and inappropriate bylaws) then we’ll proceed to sue the Town under applicable provincial and municipal laws.
Research is showing that the TOFE has been doing these possibly illegal activities for years and we feel will continue to do it until the public stops them.
We are NOT against development. We are against INAPPORPRIATE development.
This issue was originally brought to our attention when the TOFE 'rubber stamped' nearly a dozen bylaw amendments to put a large over-bearing development adjacent to the Waverly Beach Park.
We appealed but our appeal was dismissed due to a technicality, not on its merits.
For full details and documentation, see our website felna.ca