Help UTOPIA SF become part of the San Francisco Pride Parade! 2019 San Francisco Pride theme is " Generations of Resistance"
In celebration of this year's theme, we want to showcase some prominent Pacific Islander role models that your high school textbooks didn't teach you about. Pacific Islanders are often overlooked which makes it even more important for us to show up, participate, educate, and celebrate! Help us enrich our community by representing our beautiful, dynamic cultures!
United Territories of Pacific Islander Alliance (UTOPIA) has been part of the San Francisco Pride Parade since 1982 and has won several awards over the years for their participation. This year we need a little help. Funds raised will help go directly towards the essentials like truck rental fees, supplies, poster boards, printing costs, t-shirts, etc. Every little bit really does help!
SF Pride Parade is on June 30th, 2019. Your support would allow us to participate in the parade and be a positive role model for LGBTQI and Pacific Islanders. We greatly appreciate any support you have to offer! Thank you for considering our cause.
What is UTOPIA?
UTOPIA's mission is to:
- Promote unity & strength among the Polynesian/Pacific Islanders Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender community (LGBT).
- Provide support and guidance to our youth regarding sexual orientation and how it is viewed within the Polynesian/Pacific Islanders culture.
- Provide awareness to the LGBT, Polynesian/Pacific and greater community on issues regarding the prejudices and difficulties LGBT Polynesians/Pacific Islanders face and to propose potential solutions.
- Provide education regarding the various Polynesian/Pacific Islanders cultures and the difficulties of assimilation into the United States society without losing their heritage.
- Provide a positive, life-affirming experience for people affected and infected by HIV.
-Offer a referral service to Polynesians/Pacific Islanders to help them address problems they face as recent immigrants to the United States.
- Share our culture with the greater community through traditional songs and dance.
- Increase awareness and knowledge about the services and programs offered by the benefiting organizations.
UTOPIA has been at the forefront of the LGBTQ PI Movement and has supported many other community organizations over the years. Most recently they have hosted workshops at notable places like Stanford University and UC Berkeley. Other chapters of UTOPIA have established themselves in San Diego, Seattle, and Portland.
Co-founder Neo Ve'ave'a has won awards for his community work from Supervisor Malia Cohen, Senator Leland Yee, Congrosswoman Jackie Spears, and the National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance.
To find out more please visit our website: www.utopiasf.org