I am raising funds to sustain income whilst recovering from an affirmation procedure to reconstruct my chest. I have bound my chest for over five years now, and in an effort to stop gender dysphoria I have fractured ribs, damaged nerves and have multiple neck and back injuries. March 2020 will see me have my affirmation surgery so that I will no longer have to bind my chest.
Whilst recovering I will create an affirmation procedure guidebook called '#underconstruction' available in June 2020 to every donator. This is my way of saying thank you, and passing on my experiences to others who are considering undergoing this procedure.
Why do I need financial support?
* I have already saved $10,000 AUD to have my surgery. However, I will not be able to work for four weeks and I do not have access to paid leave. This is extremely stressful as I still have bills to pay.
* Australia does not recognise affirmation procedures for transgender people as 'medically necessary' , rather 'cosmetic' and therefore Medicare will not cover the procedure. I am out of pocket by almost $10,000 AUD, and have worked hard to save this. I need help sustaining myself in the recovery period.
* There is no option for me to access income protection whilst healing from this procedure as it is classed as 'cosmetic'. This procedure is medically necessary for me given my gender dysphoria, mental health and injuries sustained from binding over the last five years.
* I will not be able to work for income , and my workplace has not approved paid leave for this procedure, despite the best efforts of staff advocating on my behalf.
* The work I do for LGBTQIA+ community as an advocate is charitable, and I am neither paid for it nor do I have funding to do it. If I have helped you in some way, this is your chance to help me keep going.
- Pene Toose
- Alyssa Clark
- Daryn Steer
- Chloe Matthews
- Peta Fitzpatrick
Organizer and beneficiary
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more