Uma’s Surgery

Uma and I met a few years ago when she was found as a stray on the grounds of the country club I worked at. I was going through some hard times and lived alone. Uma quickly became the best friend I had in the city. She was always there for cuddles and her antics helped me get through each day.


She has won the heart of my girlfriend, Sara who was not a fan of pets, let alone cats. Uma prefers her lap over mine and they are quite the pair.


Recently I discovered that Uma had somehow ripped out her claw.  With the help of my mom and girlfriend, we were able to clean up the wound without much trouble. Uma continued to lick it and get litter stuck. I was afraid it would get infected. We used an ace bandage to keep her from messing with it but she seemed uncomfortable. Instead, we wrapped a small sock around her foot and held it in place with a hair tie which we discovered she mostly removed within less than 2 days. I then saw what had become of her poor paw.33630904_1539188505741941_r.jpeg
She was swollen and bloody so, I immediately took her to a vet. The prescribed an antibiotic, pain killers, and suggested epsom salt baths. We were to leave her foot uncovered and she wore a cone and we would go to a follow up appointment in a week.

Throughout the week prior to her second appointment, Uma stayed in a large pet tent in our bedroom so we could keep an eye on her.  As instructed, Uma received pain meds every 12 hrs and once a day my girlfriend and I soaked her foot in the epsom salt bath to help with swelling. As the days passed, Uma didn’t seem to get better. Her once pink foot was turning dark and the smell was unbelievable.

Yesterday was her follow up appointment. Upon seeing her, the vet recommended euthanasia. Because Uma was born with a stage 6 heart murmur, the vet wasn’t comfortable operating on her. I left heartbroken with my best friend.

I took her tent outside in the sun and had my lunch next to her, coaxing her to eat hers. We sat for a long time as I cried and held her little face. She seemed so happy as if it were a normal day sunbathing.

Euthanasia felt extreme so, despite already spending upwards of $200 on her two appointments, I decided to get a second opinion. We were lucky enough to find a great vet available that evening.

Her heart murmur makes anesthisia risky but, she was under before when she was spayed and she is no quitter. Uma is only 4 years old, she is active and sassy and she is my heart. I can’t give up on her. There is a hospital that can help. We have an appointment for tomorrow at 10am. She will need tests done along with x rays and then possibly the surgery to amputate her foot. The cost estimate is at least 5 thousand dollars which will drain the savings I have put aside. I’m happy to do it but, I could use some help, any help. 

Thank you,

From both of us

  • Anonymous 
    • $25 
    • 36 mos
  • Kimberly Ashworth 
    • $100 
    • 36 mos
  • Debra Tumlin 
    • $50 
    • 36 mos
  • Julie Kohn  
    • $10 
    • 36 mos
  • Christina Wagner 
    • $50 
    • 36 mos
See all


Margaret Louise 
Pittsburgh, PA
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more