TEMPORARILY ON HOLD BECAUSE OF COVID - 19 AND NEW URGENT PRIORITIES.
Please, hold donations till further announcements. Nía:wen/miigwetch/thank you!
Shé:kon! My name is Candy, and this year, In order to celebrate my birthday, I am planning to hold a GATHERING OF COMMUNITIES!
I am a two spirited person, of Cree, Scottish, Wendat, French, and Kanien’kéha:ka descent, an interdisciplinary performer and artist, born in Quebec, and living in Tkaròn:to.
I am reaching out, not just to our indigenous communities, but also to those of other nations who have been displaced, or have come to settle here on this land, to meet for March 13, 2020 from 12 PM to 9PM at The 519, Toronto to gather, break bread, help and teach each other. (New date will be confirmed soon after booking the space after covid-19 is done, and health priorities ease.)
We all need to connect, and I have friends and chosen family from all manner of communities. As a working artist, who also deals with chronic illness, I am depending on my communities to help me fundraise, and make this Gathering a reality. Rather than receiving any gifts for my birthday, I am asking for anyone who can offer, to help me fund this event.
In order to host an event, with room for all the food, art, performances, workshops, skill trading, and talent, I am trying to raise money for a venue, food budget, and if possible, honorariums for all the present and performing artists.
I would never be able to completely repay all the kindness I have received from my communities, but I believe that artists should get paid, and want to make sure that everyone who chips in can at least get some form of compensation.
If you are able to offer help, here is where the money will go:
- A venue that is wheelchair accessible, can host 100+ people, and have enough space for a handful of different workshops.
- Honorariums, paid to performers, elders, and artists
- Assistance in coordinating helpers, counsellors, mediators, active listeners, and people with first aid
- People to share knowledge in how to navigate social support systems
- Medicines for smudging, and various ceremonies
- Childcare and support
- Sound systems, instruments, and musical equipment rentals
- Food (and making sure there are things available for people with a variety of dietary needs)
Please feel free to contact me with any offers of food, performances, art, or venue suggestions. I will pay anyone who helps based on how well the fundraiser goes, and post the budget breakdown when I do.
All friends, family, and respectful people are welcome at the event. Nía:wen!
- Paul & Nans Caravan
- Lauren Hortie