Trying to pay bills without losing everything

COVID 19 Resources

For up to date and accurate information about COVID safety, visit the CDC or WHO websites.

Hello we are Mickey and Julie Parent. We live in Sidney Montana.

To begin I would like to also add that when the Covid-19 pandemic hit that Mickey got his hours cut at work,  He was only working 4 days a week and no overtime.  I do work a fulltime job but I don't make enough money to even cover the mortgage payment every month on my own must less any other bills or food and things that would be needed. The lack of hours for Mickey's work was already taking a toll on our financial situation. Mickey is the main source of income for our family.52191452_1604361646477070_r.jpeg
     Mickey went to SHC about 3 to 4 months ago with severe abdominal pain.  He was hospitalized many times. And was even flown out to Billings . Which they released Mickey from the hospital before I could even get there. They did absolutely nothing for him not 1 thing. They don't have a doctor that could do the biopsies he needed done. That was  $36,000.00  bill we didn't need. Just for the flight. My husband and I were both out of work during this time. I worked 5 1/2 hours inn3 weeks and Mickey worked none. During this time mickey was admitted several times.  At this point we were thinking intestines problems. So severe the last scan showed leakage into the abdominal area. Dr. decided we needed to go to Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. As he was getting ready to leave SHC Hospital the Dr. asked what was ever said to us about the tumor next to his pancreas. But neither of us knew anything.  The tumor had been missed for 3 years. The radiologist was going over scans from the previous 3 years when he found the tumor, At this point is was assumed it was a benign tumor as it has been . there for3 years. If it was malignant he would already be dead as its on his pancreas.   We left for the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, We were there for I week both of us using all sick time and vacation time we had left. We left there with No answers for the lower intestines. Their is about 18 inches in the lower intestines that was causing  the problem.  But it was to far for up  for Colonoscopy and to low for  endoscopy. So did another CT scan on the  4th day there and it showed it was significantly better than from the last scan a few days prior where their was leakage.  The only thing to do was just wait for the next attack.  They didn't want to do anything else as he was healing and the Covid-19 virus. He gave us a name of a Dr. out of Billings as he wanted a CT scan every 3 weeks. This never happened as they didn't have their poop in a group.  (I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.) This  issue is still not dealt with.
     We left for Minnesota on Oct. 6, 2020 so we could split the drive up as I have health issues of my own and riding for a long time isn't good for me. We arrived in Minnesota on the 7th and went for his Covid-19 testing, he then had another test the next morning and then we met with the surgeon in the afternoon. This is when we were told the tumor was in fact attached to the pancreas and they would need to remove the tail of the pancreas, the tumor, and possibly the spleen. The next morning Mickey went in for surgery he was out about 1:00pm. The doctor was able to leave the spleen. (which we were very happy about)The surgery took place on October 9,2020. The surgery itself actually went very well.  
     Afterwards Mickey had many complications. His stomach was not digesting food and still isn't working properly at this time. His kidneys were not working properly not enough output and was very dark and still aren't working properly. Mickeys white blood count went up which is a sign of infection. they did more test. The found fluid around the pancreas. A tube was inserted to drain the fluid and fluid was sent for testing.  They removed the tube things still weren't moving in the right direction. He went for another CT scan it showed fluid around the liver and fluid around the pancreas again. His white blood count was up again. They put a drain tube in on the other side to drain the fluid from around the liver. This remained for a few days. They removed the tube and inserted another drain tube back on the left side to drain the fluid from around the pancreas.  The doctors wanted Mickey to remain in the Mayo clinic hospital for another 14 to 21 days. We got there Oct 7 surgery Oct 9 and we finally left on Oct 23,2020. But before we could leave he had to have a $22,000.00 shot to help slow the amount of fluid the pancreas is making. 
   He still has the drain tube in. He is still having a lot of trouble, a lot of pain, He went to the emergency room on Oct. 28. At this point we have no idea when he will return to work.  If things begin to heal on their own we maybe looking at 3 to 4 more weeks out of work. If they do not He will looking at another procedure to have a stint put in to connect the pancreas to the stomach. 
  I returned back to work on October 28,2020. We depleted our savings paying medical bills, missed work before surgery and after.  While in Minnesota we had Hotel expenses even with a discount was over $1500.00 for 3 weeks just for me. that doesn't include parking, food, the gas while there, the gas to get there and back, or the 3 days for the hotel when coming back home due to the weather. We finally made it home Monday October 26.   We still have a long road ahead of us to hopefully get him on the healing side and into recovery.


  • Sara Helgoth  
    • $50 
    • 13 mos
  • Todd W Johnston 
    • $100 
    • 14 mos
  • Philip Johnson 
    • $100 
    • 14 mos
  • Haley Hamby 
    • $40 
    • 14 mos
  • Joseph Gentilini 
    • $100 
    • 14 mos
See all

Fundraising team (2)

Julie Parent 
Raised $250 from 2 donations
Sidney, MT
Chassie Mcintare 
Team member
Raised $40 from 1 donation
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more