Travis's climb to Thyroid surgery

A year & a half ago I was diagnosed with advanced Graves Disease. It was actually more advanced than I realized at that time. I was started on meds that worked off and on for a while, but then I started to losing weight again. Lately my weight loss escalated and I went down several sizes. I went back to see the specialist about 2 weeks ago for me labs and to see the specialist after the labs. He then told me that I can die from malnutrition due to Graves. He went on saying that, without drastic changes I will die from that and / or my heart will weaken from the malnutrition and I will be in ICU fighting for my life. I eat quite a lot, but the Graves prevents me from gaining weight. I was put on 6 pills a day for my thyroid until I finished up that prescription and now 3 a day of a higher dosage. I've already gained 10 lbs. I at least weigh in and I would guess at least another 5-10 LBS since then. I go back and check my levels next week. If they are where they need to be I will start the radioactive iodine treatment. The doctor does not think they will be where they need to be right then, as my Graves is so advanced it will take some “tinkering” to get them just right for treatments. That basically means the doctor will adjust my meds and wait a couple of days and check again until my levels are in the right place to begin that treatment. Im not a good candidate for the surgery due to high risk, so I will have 3 days of the treatments and hopefully that should do it. I will be on meds the rest of his life and that's fine. The doctor doesnt believe these treatments will save his life, but the surgery is the best option. I've have been paying as they do not accept the health insurance that I have. However I now need help and urgently. When my levels are where they need to be for treatments I have to be ready to pay - that alone is $300 Each time I walk in the door it's $40 plus for labs and to see the doctor. I have always did whatever I could and paid my own way, so this is very hard for me to do. I have to be ready to go when they say "GO". The additional $100 is to pay the additional labs I will have. I have exhausted all other roads for possible help. It's urgent that I have the money in time. I thank you all in advance for taking the time to read all this, donate and / or share and prayers are greatly needed and appreciated this is hard for me to do, because iv always been able to provide a way for myself. I'm at my braking point. I have faith this will turn around for me. Thank you all in advance. God bless each and every one of you


  • Anonymous 
    • $50 
    • 2 d


Travis Johnson 
Mamaroneck, NY
  • #1 fundraising platform

    People have raised more money on GoFundMe than anywhere else. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case that something isn’t right, we will refund your donation. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more