Travel expenses for Zach's Surgery

This is the story of our son Zachary.  He's 3 1/2 years old. Zach started having these episodes of drooling in May.  We thought that it may be due to enlarged adenoids.  When I attempted to sweep his mouth to make sure he didn't choke on the drool, he bit down on my finger. Hard, and didn't let go. It was at that point I knew that this was more serious. We took him to the ER at Johns Hopkins, where he was admitted for observation of new onset seizures.  The pictures shown here are from when he was hooked up to the ECG machine to see where the seizures were coming from.  We were discharged and Zach was placed on a seizure medication called Keppra. He was also scheduled for an MRI in August.  All was well until mid-July when Zach started having break through seizures on the medication. His dosage was increased, but he continued to have almost daily seizures.  July rolls into August and it's the day of his MRI.  Zach did great. He had to be sedated for the test, but he was a trooper.  We waited for the phone call to find out what the MRI showed.  Zach's doctor called us the next day.  Zach's MRI showed a tumor on the left side of his brain, behind his eye.  My husband and I were not expecting that news. Although we knew it was a possibility, no one ever thinks this can happend to them.  The tumor was diagnosed as a low-grade astrocytoma, or slow growing tumor.  The doctors at Hopkins believe that the tumor is benign, but only a biopsy can say for 100% certainty.  At this point we met with a pediatric neurosurgeon at Hopkins.  The advice we received from him and the neurologists is a "wait and see" approach, with follow up testing.  We therefore scheduled a second opinion at CHOPS (Children's Hospital in Philadelphia).  MD Storm advised us that we should take it out, even if it is slow growing, before it affects  his vision.  My husband and I agreed.  Zach is currently scheduled to have brain surgery to remove the tumor on October 9th at CHOPS.  He is expected to be in the hospital at least 4 days, barring any complications.  We have applied to stay at the Ronald McDonald House, but that is not guaranteed.  Therefore, we will need to pay out of pocket to stay in Philadelphia.  I am desperately trying to find discounted hotels and have been in contact with Ronald McDonald house to see if they have any suggestions.  I know that money is tight everywhere, but we would be forever grateful for any help you can give. Whether it is donating, sharing our story or saying a prayer for our family.  I will post updates as the days get closer.  Thank you for taking the time to read our story. With gratitude, The Sigafoose Family.

  • Sue Eilerman 
    • $100 
    • 49 mos
  • Cathy McDaniel 
    • $25 
    • 50 mos
  • Anna Edwards 
    • $50 
    • 50 mos
  • Catherine Napfel 
    • $50 
    • 50 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $20 
    • 50 mos
See all

Organizer

Jennifer Sigafoose 
Organizer
Port Deposit, MD
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more