The Bush Films
is a space for queer women and non binary people
that has not yet existed in New York City!LET'S KEEP IT ALIVE!
We are a film series dedicated to showcasing work focused on queer women, trans and non-binary people. In June of this year, we began screening queer short films for a small group of friends in a private backyard in Brooklyn. Only two months later, we have grown much beyond our initial expectations. As soon as the screenings were opened up to the public, over 70 people began coming out to meet other queer people with an interest in the arts and a desire to see themselves represented in cinema. It has been amazing to watch audience members and queer filmmakers we have invited, come together in a comfortable environment to talk about the work and learn from one another.
We are still 100% independent and self funded. We have managed everything from our own pockets. Our events are free because our objective is for everyone to have access to the films. However, we are growing so fast that in order to keep doing this project, we need support.
How many straight films have you seen in the last decade? And how many LGBTQ+ films have you seen? The proportions are out of scale. Help The Bush Films continue allow the LGBTQ+ community to find themselves through films; films that are written by us and for us. We grew up watching films about straight characters with no LGBTQ+ role models. We had to learn how to live through those stories. Now, as we have started to uncover our own stories, we believe it is crucial for queer women, trans, and non binary people to have a space to experience these stories on screen, together.
We need your contribution to continue showing films that represent varying communities within the larger queer community. Intersectionality is crucial at The Bush Films
, and we are dedicated to making sure that queer people of varying races, cultures, gender identities, religions and political beliefs can come to The Bush and find resonance with the films. THE INFLUENCE OF YOUR SUPPORT CAN MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE
Join us and let's expand the Bush’s vital work in 2019 and beyond. We have amazing plans for next year. We want The Bush Films
to be a solid platform for queer filmmakers and the community. We rely on our best supporters like you to put our plans into action.
Your contribution, whether it’s $10 or $1,000, is crucial to our effort of making LGBTQ+ films more accessible to the community in New York City.We count on your support to maintain the quality of our events, and your contribution will help us with important details like:
- Bring filmmakers from other cities/countries for Q&As
- Expand our screenings to locations in other boroughs of New York City.
- Budget to compensate volunteers for their time and effort. Work includes: researching for films, contacting directors, coordinating for material delivery and Q&A, keeping up-to-date production spreadsheets and database, managing invites and promotion for each screening event, managing member database and perks, creating and maintaining The Bush website, creation of The Bush Logo, social media content, promoting the events, relationships with locations, equipment management, and of course working on the night of each events: welcoming guests, coordination for screenings and Q&As.
- Host LGBTQ+ mixers for queer people in the film industry.
- Purchase audio equipment
- Purchase of folding chairs/tables
- Budget for beverages for the events.
Now through December 31st you can support The Bush Films
Help us meet our fundraising goal. Let’s celebrate and applaud to our brave community and let’s honored those that are telling our stories.
You can also become a The Bush Films
sponsor. Contact us for more information email@example.com WE ARE INDEPENDENT, BUT WE ARE NOT ALONE!
Join and support Our Fight For Queer Cinema.
Founder & Programmer at The Bush Films
IG @TheBushFilmswww.thebushfilms.com https://www.facebook.com/thebushfilms
Photos by Florencia Alvarado, LAU and Marina Winther