So here it is, the boys room and things were the worse affected from smoke and soot. All their clothes, bedding, stuffed animals and belongings that they interacted with on a daily basis is extremely damaged from soot/smoke. They also lost a pet hamster named "Hero".
In addition to the boys losing their pet hamster, our family also lost our beloved white fluffy cat, named Clarabelle.
While the boys needs is really the primary reason for this page, every last piece of furniture, clothing, everything is damaged by soot and smoke. I am optimistic that we can get it cleaned and smoke out, but many are not. If we don't, it will be years trying to get back what we've spent years to obtain. This will be a long process, that is for sure, but we are grateful that we are still here to move forward.
We are now staying at some very, very loving and caring friends home, while we get our heads square and proceed to find temporary housing. It will be months before the home is repaired and given the ok for occupancy. We have many decisions to make, but we will be stronger each day, one day at a time.
So, if you find it in yourself to give, know we will use your gift to help our boys move forward from this devistating event. We just want to get them into clothing and back into school, focusing on their future.
Recap of the event that changed our current direction, but not our destination:
It was a normal night at our household and we decided to go get a quick dinner at the local burger joint. We were gone no more then an hour and headed home. Upon arriving, Elliott raced into the garage to the back door to be the first home...when he smelt smoke and started to cry and scream. I jumped from the truck and raced to the back door. It was hot and smoke coming from around. I grabbed the fire extinguisher and opened the door to find the kitchen engulfed with smoke and flames. I made an attempt with what I had, but couldn't see anything but a small fire on the floor and pitch black smoke.
Having been trained in...don't be a fireman and what to do is not feed the fire, I shut the door and got everyone out of the driveway.
Julie was already calling 911 and it took about 5 of the longest minutes in our lives for the fire department to show. But they showed up in full force, 3 local departments and EMT.
They put out the fire in a very quick manner, but the amount of smoke and heat that went through the entire house is beyond comprehension and thereby everything was damaged, not only the kitchen. So, what was it? We don't have that answer, only our opinion. It looks like the microwave was the source of the fire, but it makes no sense. We weren't cooking anything and hadn't used it since the previous night.
I've ready online that others have had microwaves that caught fire for no reason? Well that is what's this seems like, because we have no way to explain it.
In closing, we are grateful for the fact we were together and nobody was hurt. We lost some beloved pets, have some pets (cats) that have smoke inhalation, but doing ok in their temporary housing (thank you to those friends). We could have lost everything, but with extra effort should recover most, but have a lot of time ahead of us to find out exactly what is worth the effort and what isn't.
We've been through a lot over the past years, but God only gives us challenges that he knows we can overcome.
We thank you for reading, praying and doing what you feel you can. Even a prayer is powerful!!
John, Julie, Carter, Elliott
- MaryAnn and Patrick Uehlein
- Chris Smith
- Blythe Construction
- Steve Nearhood
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more