Hi! My name is Hazel, and I'm the President of the Board of Directors for, and Co-Founder of, Pulaski County Free Store. Since its humble beginning in a storage unit in August of 2021, I've seen PCFS go from serving around 50 shoppers a month to serving as many as 300 shoppers each month!
Pulaski County Free Store is a mutual aid hub in Southwest Virginia. We operate a lot like a thrift store, but with a few key differences:
- Everything at PCFS is available for free, and with no means testing.
- we have outdoor clothing racks and refrigerators that are available for the public to donate to and take from around the clock.
- we are entirely volunteer run, with many of our volunteers also being community members who depend on shopping at the Free Store.
- we coordinate with local organizations to share resources.
- we provide free meeting space to local groups that serve our community.
This fundraiser is to help us with the upcoming move. We don't yet know where we'll be, and our hope is that this fundraiser will give us the ability to pay rent and other necessary bills at a new place. No matter what happens, Pulaski County Free Store will continue on, even if that means we have to give away things out of our cars. But we know our community is better served if they have a physical building they feel welcome in and connected to.
As the Free Store has grown, we've done our very best to keep expenses as low as possible so that every resource possible can go to support people in our community. That's a goal that we intend to keep, and our duty to be good stewards of the resources donated is something we take seriously.
We hope you'll help support our mission and help provide a space for our community to connect, thrive, and grow.