I'm raising $2,000 for our June 2015 Nicaragua Teen Delegation, including $1,500 for two airplane tickets for two Delegation Coordinators (Anabel Hernandez & myself), and $500 in other delegation expenses (fees, promotional materials, lobby trip to Washington, DC).
Witness for Peace co-founder Gail Phares started these teen delegations over 20 years ago, and they have educated hundreds of young people about the impacts of our government’s foreign policy. Some have gone on to be agents for change in their communities. Here are some of the activities of the delegation:
· Learn Nicaraguan history and the economic forces at play in Nicaragua.
· Understand the impact of Nicaragua's debt on the poor as well as the impact of the Central American Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA).
· Meet with community leaders who are fighting to bring people out of poverty.
· Visit schools, health centers, free trade factories and fair trade cooperatives.
· Stay with families who work in sweatshops, and learn about their struggles to survive in this era of globalization.
· Live in a rural community to learn about sustainable agriculture as well as Nicaraguan culture, cuisine, and hospitality.
· Meet with the U.S. Embassy in Nicaragua.
When the teens return to the US, we also organize a community report-back, and a lobby trip to Washington, DC to meet with Representatives and State Department officials.
Please be generous with your contribution, I appreciate any donation you are able to make. Any additional funds raised will be used for supporting our programs during 2015, including our annual Pilgrimage for Peace and Justice during the last week of March, our Fall Speakers Tour, which brings a Latin American community leader to share their experiences directly with US audiences, and the other delegations we are organizing to Colombia, Mexico, and Cuba.
If you cannot contribute financially, please help out by sharing this campaign through e-mail and social media.
This fundraiser ends on Tuesday, December 23rd, thank you for your support!
PS: You can pay by credot card here, or if you prefer, you can mail a check to: Witness for Peace Southeast, PO Box 12123, Rlaeigh, NC 27605, and write "Ron's Online Fundraiser" in memo.
- Maria Luisa Solis
- Eric Feldman
- Lizy Wildsmith
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more