Cyberbullying & harassment cost lives, livelihoods, and communities each and every day. This must change urgently.
For too long, 'Big Tech' have profited to the tune of billions every year, yet provide very little, if any assistance to those bullied on the very platforms making them billions each year.
It doesn't take much research to find the horrifying statistics around the prevalence and impacts of cyberbullying and online abuse. Those impacts are not just from the cyber abuse faced by students and children, but also families, adults, and businesses around Australia.
SBS News covered a study done by the Australia Institute:
- The survey, which asked 1557 Australian workers about online harassment and cyber hate, found more than one in three were targeted - the equivalent of 8.8 million people.
- The cost of online harassment and trolling was estimated at $3.7 billion in health costs and lost income.
- The study found a quarter of those who had experienced harassment had sought out a medical professional, while 25% also said it had impacted their work.
Other studies have reported that:
- Students are twice as likely to attempt suicide if they have been cyber-bullied.
- Cyberbullying upon adults and businesses has resulted in increased adult suicides.
- Families and friends are torn apart by the preventable loss of life that stems from cyber-bullying.
Cyber abuse doesn't discriminate. The effects are being felt across different age groups, demographics, and communities.
This is a national emergency and requires an immediate national response.
This GoFundMe campaign will assist in funding a national advocacy campaign to advocate and contact Members of Parliament around Australia and to ensure this critically important issue is brought to their attention urgently.
We're seeking a Royal Commission to be established to investigate Cyber Bullying, Online Abuse, and the conduct of Big Tech Companies.
Victims of Cyber abuse need to have their stories told.
Our politicians must act now to protect each and every Australian from Cyber Abuse.
Your contribution will go towards ensuring that every politician hears the stories and impacts of cyber abuse.
To advocate for a Royal Commission into this crisis and tell the stories of those impacted.
You'll be supporting knocking on the door of every Federal politician in Australia to ensure that this national issue gets a national response.