The following post is from Katie’s Facebook page following this horrible event:
Today, had there not been a snowstorm...I would have been in my office and my kids would have been home with my neighbors checking in on them. My son was watching YouTube in bed, and he has a bed tent that zips closed. I was working from home today and heard what was my carbon monoxide detector go off. It was scarily quiet, but enough for me to know to go check. Within 30 seconds (maybe a minute - I have no idea) my entire home had black smoke coming out from everywhere possible. Grady did not jump up or react to the alarms. At all. I had to scream at the top of my lungs and we ran outside barefoot and him with no shirt, holding the dog.
I got my son out. My daughter wasn’t in the house at the time. My babies are ok. I am ok.
I don’t want to think about what would have happened if it didn’t snow yesterday, but I do know that someone is looking over this child to make sure he is ok, and I think I know who that someone is.
As unfortunate as a home fire may be, I couldn’t be more thankful for all of my blessings today.
Thank you all so much for the outpouring of love.
- Vincent Della Vella
- Tom & Mary Ann Bresch
Organizer and beneficiary
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more