Greater Naples Fire trucks arrived and quickly went to work fighting the fire. Some firefighters went into the room where my animals were and carried out my dog, Brandy, who did not survive. When they told me they found her but she didn’t make it I collapsed and broke down in tears. Brandy was 13 years old and I had her since she was a puppy. She still had a lot of love and life left in her and I was completely devastated that we were unable to save her, she was my best friend and my baby girl. Shortly after that, the firefighters were able to pull out my bearded dragon and my snake which miraculously survived, how I don’t know. It seemed like a lifetime, but eventually they were able to put the fire out.
I was transported by EMS to the hospital, as a precautionary measure, since I am pregnant and was in close proximity to the fire and smoke and had tried to enter the house. At the time, all I wanted was to save my girl Brandy and my other animals, I wasn’t thinking about the consequences. Luckily, I was not exposed long enough to the smoke to cause any damage to my baby or myself and was released from the hospital.
By the time all the fire department left it was early in the morning, around 3am, we could not really get a full understanding of what was lost because it was dark. The next morning it fully sank in. My whole life was in that house and it was gone. I had lived in this house for over 10 years and everything I had was inside, that’s not something you can mentally prepare for. The majority of the house is completely unrecognizable and all of my belongings from years of memories were erased with it.
I did not have insurance on the home due to the age of the home, which is making everything that more overwhelming, especially since the entire house has to be demolished and I will have to take care of demolishing it and removing the debris myself. Everything is so much more difficult because I am pregnant, I am not able to lift much weight and can’t be breathing in the soot and everything else from the fire because I cannot put my unborn baby girl at risk. This is very difficult for me because I have never been one to stand on the sidelines and let others do work for me.
I am completely devastated over the loss of my beloved dog and my home, but I am thankful no person was inside the home at the time of the fire and that all of the first responders were safe while fighting the fire. Anyone that knows me knows I am always the helper and never the one asking for help, but I am very overwhelmed and could really use a helping hand at this time. I greatly appreciate any support and prayers given.
I would just like to thank Greater Naples Fire Rescue District for all of their efforts and quick response. I would also like to thank all of my Collier County Sheriff’s Office family from everyone that responded to my home to all of my co-workers that have reached out to me for emotional support.
Check donations can be mailed to Diana Sheehan P.O. Box 10346 Naples, FL 34101.
- Franklin Ellis
- Stanley Laurich
- E. J. Eckert
Fundraising team (3)
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more