My name is Chelsey Glasson. I’m a mother of two young children and a victim of pregnancy discrimination. I will not be silenced.
Pregnancy discrimination is sadly an issue that many families face. I know this because as a Google employee I faced and witnessed pregnancy discrimination, and then experienced retaliation for reporting the discrimination. You can read the details of my situation via a memo
I published internally at Google, which was ultimately read by over 11,000 Google employees who were enraged by how I was treated.
The number of reported instances of pregnancy discrimination reveal that pregnancy discrimination is not on the decline. This doesn’t account for all of the unreported acts, and there are many given how hard it is to fight pregnancy discrimination. So many families are silenced. For those who can and do fight, many face career-damaging consequences, enduring emotional and financial stress, and hefty legal fees.
With a goal of shedding light on pregnancy discrimination and advocating for needed public policy change, I plan to move forward with legal action against Google for the pregnancy discrimination and retaliation that I experienced. I will share my story along the way.
Large corporations like Google have far more resources than their pregnant employees who face discrimination that limits or ends their careers. I’m seeking funds to help me fight Google and be an advocate for parents who are discriminated against at work. I've chosen 300k to highlight how much an employment lawsuit can cost. Any funds not used to support my legal action will be donated to MomsRising.org
Thank you for your support. How I was treated by Google, while fighting pregnancy complications that were life-threatening to both me and my daughter, was one of the most difficult experiences of my life. I promise to keep donors updated on my progress in fighting Google and advocating for needed legislative change.
Here are a few articles that have been written about my situation. Former Google Employee Behind Viral Memo Claims Pregnancy Discrimination and Retaliation
- Seattle Times Google Employee Alleges Discrimination Against Pregnant Women in Viral Memo
- Motherboard Managers: This is How to Succeed Where Google Failed In Supporting Working Parents
- ForbesThis Viral Google Memo Alleging Pregnancy Discrimination Proves the Struggle for Equality Is Still Very Real
- Inc.comHow Pregnancy Discrimination Has Become a Problem for Humanity
- SwaayA Leaked Google Memo Exposes the Fallacy of ‘Generous’ Parental Leave
- JezebelGoogle Employee’s Viral Memo Alleges Discrimination Against Pregnant Women
- Fox NewsA Former Googler Says She Plans On Suing The Search Giant For the Discrimination and Retaliation She Faced During Pregnancy
- Business InsiderEmployee Claims Google Discriminates Against Pregnant Women
- New York Post